30 - 40m super yacht spec

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jonny2309, May 30, 2014.

1. Jonny2309

Jonny2309 New Member

Hi there,

I am a marine engineering student and I have an assignment to carry out a parametric study in order to design a 30 - 40m monohull super yacht.

Does anyone on here know where I would get information on yacht displacement?

Thanks!

Jonny

2. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

displacement

Show Boats International. The magazine reviews.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can look for data on designs similar to what you are planning on. Engineering is usually based on previous data. However, your question is too broad. The difference between 30 and 40 is really large if the models are similar. Start by making a statement of requirements (SOR). That will drive the design. Drawings look good and appear like a boat has been designed. However, if it doesn't fulfill its requirements it is not a proper design.

4. Sailplan

Sailplan Junior Member

Hi Jonny,
    There is a collection of Yacht Data for designs in the 30-40m LOA range @ http://sailplan.ie/apps/boat-data which you could use to get started.

If you do collate more data from magazines as suggested please send it to me so that I can add it to the database for all to share. I can send you an excel file with the column headings.

Kind regards
    Paul

5. Jonny2309

Jonny2309 New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I found some info on displacement on yachting partners international.

Sailplan, I have collected info on motor yachts if you are would like me to send you it?

6. Sailplan

Sailplan Junior Member

Thanks Jonny,
    That would be great, can you PM me your email address and I'll send you back the structure for the spreadsheet. The designs database doesn't cover motor yachts yet but it could be modified to display different weight and power ratios easily.
    Kind regards
    Paul

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Paul, thanks for making your database available. It is a valuable resource.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.