LCB light displacement?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, May 7, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

For a light displacement type hull form (lenght/displacement = 6.3) that is capable of 'semi-planning', what is the optimum location of centre of buoyancy for Fn = 0.35, Fn = 0.45, and beyond please? The literature I am studying only refers to medium displacement vessles. Is there much difference for lighter yachts even though speeds over Fn = 0.45 may not be frequent.
    Thanks for your time and trouble, Glenn.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Unscientifically, I find 55% of LWL works well. If pressed, I'm sure I could find a scientifical reason.....

Steve Baker

3. Guest

Guest Guest

What's the Cp ? It would seem to me that would be a good starting point (higher speed = LCB further aft).

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have gone for a Cp of approximately 0.57 in accordance with her light displacement ( in old terms I think she is about 112) and pure racing pedigree coupled with a very high ballast ratio of 62%. In designing racing yachts, I'm trying to establish how much further aft we should place the LCB compared to say cruiser/racers at between 3 and 4%. I appreciate all replies, Glenn.

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

"Guest" says: What's the Cp ?

I typically aim at around 0.56 to 0.58-ish, but have gone as high as 0.6 on occasion.

Steve

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Steve. That's good news as I was concerned that 0.57 to 0.58 was a little too large. Old habits are hard to break! But that is was the numbers kept telling me, so I'll stick with it and go for a LCB of 55% of DWL. My DWL/ Tc is 20.5. How does that sit with you? And may I ask which software you use please. Thanks, Glenn.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.