3 kids survive 50 days adrift

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

1 person likes this.
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

If it's true, it is pretty amazing. Good thing they were young and resilient.

Boston, a person "lost at sea" will do much more illogical things than drink sea water.

Thanks for the story. NZ needs a good luck story after their recent miner mishap...

-Tom

4. hoytedow

I lived in Van Lear in Eastern Kentucky as a child where some of my playmates lost their fathers in the Van Lear coal mine disaster in 1954.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Lear,_Kentucky

May the miners' families find comfort through my prayers for them.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Did you see the news reel of the kid walking off the boat? He reminded me of a cosmonaut just back in gravity. Tough kids. Get that rain water in this situation!

6. hoytedow

I'm glad they made it. Even for a short paddle between islands perhaps a basic survival kit should be a requirement.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

We got away with murder when I was a kid growing up on the cape. Its a miracle any of us survived

I got blown from Fairhaven all the way across the bay once in a sialfish with nothing whatsoever on board but myself and a paddle.

8. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Same here. Aside from nearly drowning on a tow rope while drunk, I went out drunk from some bar in Plymouth in an 8' hard shell dinghy with two guys who were 6'3 and 200+ each. We were going back to the boat, but there was a huge current and we were taking on water over the gunwale. It was so foggy, we weren't able to find the boat for about an hour, battling to not be sucked out the inlet.

No life jackets, of course.

We we did a lot of dumb, drunk things as New Englanders growing up on the water.

9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I too had my share of brainless mishaps as a kid. Never any lifejacket.

Here's to those who can't tell their stories as they are no longer with us because they weren't as lucky as we were.

-Tom

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

cheers

and lets hope I dont become one of em once I finally get back to the water

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.