How does the shape of this shell seem?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by andreasmehlin, Jul 20, 2006.

1. andreasmehlin

andreasmehlin Junior Member

http://www.blocket.se/vi/8832334.htm?ca=20_s

1) From what you can see of the pictures, how does it look?
    2) Is the most important/hardest/critical work done to get the vessel ok?

How much would you estimate to pay for this?

I have thought of building a boat in this size but have been affraid of getting the "shell" good enough. Now maybe this is a solution for me?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Looks like it was abandoned partway through the build, perhaps due to lack of funds?
    To the non-production builder, a hull usually emerges very quickly. This is a finicky bit to get right, though. A surveyor might be of help in your case. Where the real tedious bit is, is in finishing it off, getting a deck and interior in it, rigging engines and gear, etc, etc. And this is also where two-thirds of the money goes. I can't really say from the photos whether this half-built hull is a good buy or not.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

BASICALLY THE HULL LOOKS FAIR, WHICH IS odd to say least for amateur build
    But then again there is no framework at all in it, which is odder, still, maybe they built it over a temp frame, and It will need frames and floors too, there are no floors in it at all
    If you could buy it for 3-4 k, then yes Providing you get a set of drawings, if you cant dont bother, cos you may finish something that will be way out of trim
    I,d be darned wary about is simply cos you do not know if it will trim I cant see a keel?
    Ah i think I see the ballast keel plated over, maybe steel punchings

4. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

me id give them this offer you give me the hull and ill move it.. everything in the pictures looks ok except where that indentation is in the floor ballast box? that looks like its been sitting there full of water is likely to be the issue area i think.....i wonder if somone used a outside vik ship frame method to fair the hull and thats why their arnt any interior frames and its soo smooth lookin.

5. andreasmehlin

Thanks for the quick answers.

I have a budget of about $100k-$115k. Does it sound reasonable to finish the vessel? It is 43ft if you didnt noticed that.

Regards
    Andreas

6. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

... i guess in my own opinion i have to ask..what do you intend her for? recreation/liveaboard/work?...in any case i think id want to pull measurements starting at the bow and every 3 ' alll the way to the stern and have someone plug those numbers into a software program and have a look at it

7. andreasmehlin

My intention is a 4 years long world cruise

8. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

then i think id be tempted to leave that hull right there and look at something else then...at about twice that length in a ex fishing trawler or something of that nature.

9. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Hull costs

As mentioned before the cost of the hull "shell" is only a small part of total building costs for a yacht.

Your boat will have to be fitted for a world cruise so i think hull costs will be way less than 1/3 of total costs. Combined with the fact that this hull is not nearly finished i think you should only invest in this shell if all the plating is in good condition, which i doubt.

10. andreasmehlin

Is it "better" to look for a used boat and renovate it?

I want a steel sail cruiser in size 40-43ft. Don´t want to spend more than about $100k including renovating.

SeaSpark: Isnt Holland known for there steel boats? Do you have any good sites looking for used vessels?

11. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Renovate existing boat.

I'd renovate an existing boat unless you are an experienced ocean cruiser and know exactly what you want.

The two main site's for used boats in holland are:

http://www.botenbank.nl/

check "staal" to search for steel boats

http://www.botentekoop.nl/

No selection on hull material possible.

Hope you can handle the language.

12. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

ahhh well now local Trader mag...trader online pac nw edition boat trader...1964 35' dutch round bilged steel shulter alan bucanan design...from the rest of the ad i gather its been there and done that last rebuild 91
    under 30k .....also a 63' staysail schooner in steel that been in the pages a while.

13. andreasmehlin

SeaSpark: language no prob. I use babelfish translator :)

Many of the boats I find on yachtworld.com and boats.com are located on the wrong side of the Atlantic. I have head it is cheaper to shipp in late month like december. Is that true? How much do you expect a steel boat in the size of 42ft would cost to Sweden/Denmark/germany/Holland?

Have also seen a couple of "almost" finished vessels
    Like these:
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...Length=40&ps=30&ftid=0&slim=quick&searchtype=

and this
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...Length=40&ps=30&ftid=0&slim=quick&searchtype=

What do you think of these?

14. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

of those 2 id pick the 2 nd...i like the keel a lot better and its a cutter rig.....the 1st one the hull has been siting in north carolina for 20 some years..extremly hot humid summers ..and i think it has too mutch keel at least for my taste. also note portland is a major shipping port...if you want to know how it handles ask the broker to ask them to contact you. you decide to spend a little money on travel chek it out firsthand with a survey inspector on hand.

15. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

http://www.botenbank.nl/yachtselect/boten/2140023/view

Just a suggestion Nordia 41
    At asking price of € 85.000 I would try to get the price down a tad and depart from Holland. Do not now the condition but looks good, fast crossings and so on. With any luck your main expense could be provisioning, when you arrive back in Holland after your cruise sell it and avoid any import tax to USA, fly back home.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.