28 foot cold mold

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by lprimina, Jan 30, 2004.

1. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

I am in the process of building another boat but this one is a bit bigger than earlier ones.. the big debate I am having with myself is one outboard verses two outboards.. I know it goes faster with two but in the the ocean you cant run full board anyhow. Money is a factor. Your opinions will be helpful.
    Oh the style of boat is a Carolina flare.

And I have learned a lot by reading these forums. You guys know your stuff

Thabk you
    Ben Kane

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It goes faster with a single engine than with two engines. This is assuming the total HP is the same. There are power losses from friction, drag and other sources that make a single installation more efficient.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

As Gonzo says, it's more economical and efficient in terms of fuel, weight, and maintenance to have a single, but I personally would always choose twins for the safety and peace of mind it gives me.

4. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Thanks Gonko and Jeff, I didnt think about friction loss and drag. Right now I think Iwill start with one engine and when $ isnt as tight Go with twins. As Jeff says peace of mine is important (later on anyhow)
    Again Thank you
    Ben

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A cheaper option is to have an offset kicker motor. It uses less fuel for trolling and will get you home; slowly:) .

6. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

I was thinking about that and as of right now that is the best idea so far.
    But at last Sunday a man came and looked at the unfinished boat and wants to buy it.
    So I am now debating on keeping it or selling it... If I sell it I will never own a boat, I will become a boat builder again and have to buy an ugly old boat to use. Ha Ha but true
    Thanks guys.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

When you are in the market for a motor let me know. My prices are usually low.

8. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Thanks Gonzo, I will.
    What Brand?

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

We got Nissan and Johnson/Evinrude. The prices and models are on the website. Sometimes we get factory demos for very low price too.

10. captword

captword Junior Member

Ben just food for thought. i live here in morehead. my dad just repowered year before last. he went to a dealer that we have delt with before and told him we wanted a new motor at the best deal. he told us that he would look around and that if we were willing to go with a one year old motor we would do better. confused us at first, but he explained that as a dealer you have to buy so many motors of x brand to stay a dealer. some dealers dont sell all their alloted motors and our stuck with them. he found us a brand new 4 stroke susuki for less or the same price as a two stroke.it was ayear old still in the original packing crate with some dealer sticker from a shop neer the mountains i never heard of. runs sweet and quiet. dad loves it

11. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Who do you deal with.. That sounds like a great way to buy motors

12. captword

captword Junior Member

JERRY MACON, AT FORT MACON MARINA OVER ON ATLANTIC BEACH. 252-726-8744
    he may or may not be able to find you one but i suspect he might be able to find one. it is the right time of the year and getting better as the new arrivals in the showrooms across the state. I like doing business with him he seems as honest as you can get, down to earth and doesnt seem to me to be one of those shuve a deal down your throat salesmen. Tell him that Capt Howard Day told you about him. wont help but wont hurt. See what he can find for you. that doesnt mean not to shop around. i do, but he normally seems to beet or match other deals . so give him a shot
    Howard

13. Special Ed

Special Ed Guest

How much do you get for an unfinished boat if you get back in to building? Is it cold molded or strip? Can I contact you by phone?

14. Special Ed

Special Ed Guest

Forgive me, right off the bat you stated it was cold molded and I overlooked it. But, another question is did you use okume or marine plywood?

Thanks,
    Ed

15. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Both, inner layer is marine and outer layer is okume. Finished without motors and electrical around 25000. That is a real rough guestamation maybe less if materials stay at a low price, or I use luan (spell check) I really dont know yet tho
    Send me an e-mail and I will give you my phone

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.