Coosa for core?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by partgypsy, Mar 21, 2014.

1. partgypsy

partgypsy Junior Member

I have to re-core a foredeck deck about 14' w x 15' long. It is unobstructed below (and I will use temporary supports to hold the shape of the deck) and the plan is to re-core from below. I am not concerned about weight and I have a good local supplier of Coosa. I know it's not the highest tech material out there, but Coosa has strength. I was thinking of cutting it into ... say... 9" strips and epoxying them into place athwartships with enough space between to go back and fill the gaps with a more Coosa. This way, I can follow the crown easily without without worrying about compound curves. I feel that I will have be better able to be sure there is consistent epoxy between the skin on the deck and the Coosa.
    I understand this may not be the most efficient way to go, but I am working alone can do this work in manageable stages.
    A few years ago I sprung a concave boat deck on a 57 Pacemaker back to its original shape by using temporary braces and then I fashioned edge cut plywood frames to hold the exact shape. It worked fine.

Any advice or perceived issues?

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Coosa will make a fine deck core, and stripping it the way you plan should not present any problem re strength. I have always found Coosa very helpful, give them a call and ask (205) 663-3225

Good luck, I would not look forward to that much laminating upside down.

:eek:

3. oceannavigator2

oceannavigator2 Previous Member

That is a difficult lamination upside down. That would be my one reservation. The one thing that would make me go in from the top/deck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.