26 pacemaker w/ 6v71 detroit

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by phishown, Dec 17, 2005.

1. phishown

phishown Junior Member

Looking for some opinions regarding the powering of a 26 pacemaker with a 6v71 detroit....Engine weighs in around 2000lbs w/ twin clutch. I know it maybe over kill but I don't have a 6cyl. yanmar or cummins laying around. The decks are out of the boat and I can build engine compartment to size. I would estimate that the engine and drive train are around 1000lbs more than what was in there. However, the PaceMaker has a tremendous stringer system and it would not take much altering aside from drilling a new shaft hole.
    Any opinions are greatly appreciated......
    Mark

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

You should be able to locate an International DT466 newer and cheaper in a junk yard.

There about 1300lbs max and have an SAE aft setup that will accept a marine tranny.

Exhaust manifolds (should you decide on a wet exhaust) are avilable , although he dry exhaust would be cheaper and is far less maint.

The 6-71 are closer to 3000lbs (in my Detroit Grey Marine book) .

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.