25 yr old foam sandwich constructed sailboat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jksoft, Jun 25, 2007.

1. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a sailboat, approximately 25 yrs old, that is built with foam sandwich construction. It was designed and built as a racing boat and even won a trans atlantic race. My question is in regard to the longevity of this type of construction. I realize most racers like this are designed with a short lifespan in mind and it seems that this one may be pushing the limits, but as far as I know, it is still structurually sound. It has not been surveyed yet. Knowing what you know about this construction method, would you even look at this boat? I plan to use it for daysailing and cruising here in the Caribbean, but I don't want something that has exceeded its useful life expectancy.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The only real advise is to seek a good surveyor, as you know the other obvious things to consider about a worn down racer. The method is sound, but every method can have issues of some sort develop, for a host of reasons, which is why you need the survey.

3. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Don't forget that as a racer, the boat was worked hard. Survey time.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

the first thing i would check is the keel weight, alot of them racers are FREAKS , lol and take alot of wieght out of the keel to make the boat lighter