24' Solo-circumnavigator (.dxf file attached)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Seafarer24, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

My current 1974 Seafarer 24 is a fine boat with a fairly intelligent interior layout. I felt that it is the perfect size for a single-handed long-distance cruiser on a budget. However, It lacks a bit of headroom (I'm 5'10") and was designed for vacationing- not live-aboard cruising.

I decided to design a vessel of similar size, but with a different purpose. Here were my design criteria:
    24' maximum hull length, not including any protrusions.
    4' maximum draft
    6' standing headroom throughout doghouse area
    1 berth suitable for use at sea
    Dedicated Navigation station
    Table seating for two
    Efficient and effective galley
    Workshop space to store sail repair and welding equipment
    6' cockpit bench to allow sleeping outside in fair weather
    Bridgedeck
    Effective bulwarks
    Relatively enclosed head, with holding tank
    Tiller steering
    Looks good :!:

I designed the hull with the hullform program, as it would be built out of plywood. It will have a cutter rig with the staysail going to the stem and a roller-furling foresail on a bowsprit. The aft end of the boom should come down over the transom to allow for a full-width traveler without interfering with the cockpit. Though not shown, I want the keel to have a "leg" which extends along the bottom and ends just aft of the transom. The rudder post will hinge on the transom and also fit into a socket on this keel leg. The rudder will be fairly high-profile and semi-balanced. The mast might be a free-standing (and possibly rotating) design.

I'm just starting to build a 1/12th scale model so I can work on deck layouts and interior designs. I have some old RC airplane gear sitting about so I may even make it a functional sailing model.

2. Harold B

Harold B Junior Member

The Flying Dutchman is a 22 foot design that was in Mechanics Illistrated many years ago it is a Westlawn design based on Dutch fishing vessels that had to contend with rough water in the North Sea and limited draft /shallow water in port. The plans are available from The press at Toad Hall. The boat meets your requirements
    When you are over, not less than, a hundred miles to the nearest shoreline any thing that can possibly go wrong will. Many old timers set their jibs flying often with an outhaul for safty. Roller reefing has a complexity that can not match the reliability that allowed generations to earn a living under sail.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.