24 ft "picnic cruiser" designing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hirvi49, Apr 26, 2015.

1. JSL

JSL Senior Member

24' and displacement hull form = not too fast (6 kn limit). Take lots of food with you.
    Anchoring with bow ladder should be interesting.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Flooding in what circumstances?

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Good question, really smart : Navigating, of course!

4. hirvi49

hirvi49 Junior Member

We have really nice archipelago here in Finland. Within 15 mile radius from my harbor there are more than 100 islands and I go ashore on almost every one of them. About 20 of those islands has small harbor and other services like toilet.

That boat is designed to take me and my friends to short cruises (1-3 h) around the archipelago to enjoy our (short) summer and have some sandwiches and wine.

In Finland it is legal to drink about a botle of wine and still drive a boat :D

5. hirvi49

hirvi49 Junior Member

The cockpit floor is above the waterline and there will be drain holes.
    Also the rear opening can be covered with a canopy.

The structure of the boat is "unsinkable". That is why I'm going to use a lot of foam.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

hirvi49, I see you have it all very clear but you should check that the vessel complies with the regulations to be met. I guess in your country vessels shall comply with any regulations. I doubt that your boat meets the rules, that I think, she must meet. That was the reason for my question.
    The Titanic was "unsinkable" and you know you where it is. Your boat can be "unsinkable", although the water will reach your ankle, which is not pleasant. I hate to think that the engine can dive under water.

7. hirvi49

hirvi49 Junior Member

If the boat is self-made and built only for your own use, it doesn't need to fulfill any regulations.

Under a year ago there weren't even any limit for power of the engine.
    Now they (transport safety agency) have started to compare power, boat size
    and weight. But in my case the over powering is not a problem.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

At least in my country, an amateur builder must meet certain requirements, he and his ship, which are not simple. Check if your country has or does not have binding rules for everyone who builds a boat.
    Anywhere, it would be advisable, for your own safety, the boat ensures a certain stability and seaworthiness for passengers.
    I'm not talking on over powering but that even if the boat is unsinkable, getting water in the tub, its depth is so great that the engine is below the water. I'm afraid you're very good at handling Rhino but not know anything about boats. If this is not the case, I beg your pardon.

9. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

hirvi49,

When a person builds a boat that has been properly designed & follows the plans, then insurance companies will offer cover. An unproven design may not be covered & in the UK, third party insurance is required to obtain a permit of use.

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

That seems very odd and also a bit draconian. Is this requirement for all home built boats or floating person carriers or just for those that are or may be licensed?

11. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Tom,

May I introduce you to the European Union. The key difference between those in Europe & us in UK & USA is the use of Napoleonic Code. Under English Common Law, we are free to do anything that we want to do, unless there is a law against it. Under NC, unless there is a law that permits a certain activity, you are forbidden to do that activity. In France for example, it's compulsory to have some form of boat driving qualification, but not in the UK. We are still free to set sail to hell in a hand basket if we so desire, but woe betide a ship wrecked mariner should he wash up on French shores.

"Bonjour M'sieur, you 'ave zee permit pour zee navigation zat allows you to swim 'ere from your sunken bateau, oui? Non! Zen you are off to, as you Eengleesh say, to de clinky, pour le duration n'est ce pas?

That's also why the EU wants to tax & eliminate all production of Carbon Dioxide, which they claim is carbon pollution. I suppose next they will want to tax us for breathing. :p

All the best,

Perry

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is a requirement for all amateur builders, build at home or in a shipyard. It will be draconian or not, I do not know, but it's reality and it seems to me very well, from the point of view of safety of people, that minimum is required. It is always annoying to have to meet standards.
    Trying to avoid trouble, you should find out everything you need to know before you start building your boat.

13. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.