Cracks on FP Athena

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by magwas, Dec 4, 2020.

1. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I recently saw a Fountaine Pajot Athena. It was in otherwise nice state, but in the bottom of the front side windows I found some delamination. And some small cracks on the outside of the boat on the gelcoat. The area of these things forms an arc, and goes under the mast. As I understand this is the place where a vertical bulkhead (probably not the right name) is in the boat. In the picture I have marked the area red.
    What could be its cause? How serious could it be? How to repair it?
    Unfortunately I did not take pictures, so I cannot show the actual boat.

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What do you mean by "forms an arc" ? Do the cracks appear to be continous about some framing element ? It almost sounds like it has taken heavy seas over the bow and loaded up the structure, but I don't know whether that boat would be likely to meet that situation. Or the structure is flexing under the strain of the mast.

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Magwas, can you visit the boat again to take some photos?
    Re your comment about a 'vertical bulkhead', this most probably correct - there should be a bulkhead under the mast foot to take the compressive loads from the mast.
    Here is a sister ship for sale, with a variety of photos for reference.
    1998 Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1998/fountaine-pajot-athena-38-3249689/
    Mr E, the front window of the superstructure is curved - maybe the 'small cracks' follow this curve?

4. magwas

magwas Senior Member

In "forms an arc" I mean that there is an area where those cracks are, and the shape of the area is like an arc. Sorry if my English is not precise, it's a foreign language for me.
    And yes, the arc seems to correspond to the place where that bulkhead is below the deck.
    The boat also have signs of collision on its starboard bow and the beam between the bows. Sorry that I forgot to mention that, in itself it was not a red flag for me, and I did not connect the dots. It is in Adria, in an otherwise nice state (no hatches leaking, little wear and tear), which means that probably it was not abused routinely, but you can never exclude a charter guest pushing it to limits.
    I try to obtain pictures about the cracks.
    If we go with the assumption that the cracks are indeed because heavy seas/collision over the bow, and it needs repair, what would be the correct way to repair it?

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I don't know much about sailing, but enough to ask a question.

If the forestay loads too heavily or is overloaded; is that the kind of structural problem that could occur? Seems like the physics are right. Too much tension on the forestay transfers forces where?

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

The forces would effectively be compressive - tensioning the rig will increase the compressive force on the mast step.
    A mast step on a monohull is usually much easier to engineer - it can usually sit on the keel, or a beam spanning frames.
    But the mast step on a cat is in the middle of the bridgedeck - hence there will be a downwards force and a lever creating a bending moment.
    It effectively needs an 'I' beam equivalent across the bridgedeck to resist this downwards force.

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.