22 - 24 trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by waynemarlow, Jul 22, 2008.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Bruce.

I remember Bill Snyders well. He was a member of the Toronto Multihull Cruising Club. That would be the mid 1970's.

He did indeed do a good job of building his B24. He bought the crossbeam and spar kit from CMS, and the Bote-Cote epoxy he used to build it. He may have also bought the CMS sails, although I am not sure about that.

The Bote-Cote system called for two coats of epoxy on the inside and three coats on the outside, with fibreglass on the keel and chine seams only. They claimed that if a wooden boat was built and totally encapsulated in Bote-Cote, it would increase the life of the boat by a factor of five. :cool:

Your experience seems to bear that out.

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Long life for thin boats

Thanks Oldsailor, Bill must have been very through in coating the boat. The only rot has been in places where metal penetrated and leaks developed over the years. Even then, the next part glued was usually protected by the epoxy glue line. This winter I am going over the whole boat very carefully and resealing/repairing any suspect parts. So far, I have a very short list. I wonder what the expected life is?:) Most of the ply and framing looks almost new. I know the boat was kept in the water most of the time from 1984 to 2008- snow and ice in the winter, hot sun in the summer, and hungry marine creatures on the bottom- it has done very well. Bruce

3. jamez

jamez Senior Member

4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Fast company

It looks fast in those conditions, thanks for the video. It must be one of the older boats in that fleet. Does it use running backstays with the masthead chute? I have added the masthead halyard, but I haven't tried it yet. Bruce

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Yes it does use masthead runners. I understand the boat was built in 1970 - light - its skinned in 4mm ply. The current owner rebuilt it from a basketcase. Other than the big rig a major change was converting to wooden box beams, permanently mounted. Beam is now 6 metres, a little more than standard. Its does very well against the rest of the (generally longer) fleet in the right conditions.

6. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Speaking of good gaskets, do you have a good centerboard gasket approach for a boat that lives in the water?

The plans for my boat call for a gasket made of a material like the belts at supermarket checkout counters. The gasket that was on the boat had several coats of bottom paint on it and was so stiff that it really wasn't flexible at all. It was permanently formed in the open position and actually constituted a scoop at the aft end when the board was down. It was so ugly, I figured it was causing more drag than it saved, and I simply had it removed. There is definitely recirculation behind the board, evident by the pressure against the aft end of the cap to the CB trunk that causes a tendency to leak there. I'm going to haul out this winter for a bunch of other hull repairs, so a CB gasket would be a good thing to add to the job list.

7. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

F-boat driver, Sigi Stiemer in B.C. can help you out with photos of the work he did on his F31 before he sold it. I believe he used the standard stuff for the task out of Annapolis Performance Sailing products and also other suppliers.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d312000/e309658.asp

The stuff comes in widths up to 6" and is sold as continuous lengths priced by the foot.

There are also all kinds of urethane compounds with varying degrees of flexibility according to your needs. Most plastic suppliers can show you samples and thicknesses.

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I agree with Chris.
    Definitely don't use rubber belting. It age hardens and becomes useless.

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

gasket

I have also used the seals from APS and some slightly thicker material I got locally. Both worked fine for at least 3 years. I fit mine with a definite positive "V" outwards, and test it with a pressure hose. If the water pressure blows it back in, it will also happen under sail. You can't just put a flat piece on and slit it unless it is a tightly fitted board. Bruce

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Jamez, Do you know the construction details/thickness of the wooden box beams, and does it still use waterstays with them? I have wondered if I could save some weight there, my boat must be 200-300lbs heavier than one built of 4mm light ply. Mine is rugged, but that one seems to be holding together just fine, and going fast too. Doesn't it also have the floats extended forward? Bruce

11. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Hi Bruce, I don't know what it weighs empty, but with all equipment less sails (how they get weighed here for racing) it came in about 750 kg (or about 1600 lb's). Re. the beams there are no water stays. I'll find out the scantlings from the owner.

12. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Jamez, I have not weighed my boat, but from measuring the water line I think it is about the same, maybe even a little lighter. I am very curious now, I wonder where the difference is. I will weigh it when I re-launch next spring. I don't carry much equipment, and I don't have a cabin, which might save a little weight. I am interested in the wood beams if you get a chance to ask. Thanks, bruce

13. tatoski

tatoski Junior Member

Oldsailor, do you still have plans for the Bucaneer 24? I am looking for trimaran plans using wood and epoxy/glass. I've read about the boat mostly in this forum and looks like it will fit me. I am currently a monohull sailor sailing my bateau Vagabond plus in southern Luzon, Philippines and in Taal lake south of Manila and I feel I want to build a multi-hull. I am also considering Kendrick's scarab 67 or 22 but sourcing of foam cores might be a problem.

Do you have specifications of the Bucaneer 24? Where can I get hold of it. Been searching on the net and no luck.

I have just signed up and I think this is a great forum. Thanks guys!

tatoski

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes the plans are available, and if you contact me by PM I will send you some information.

Cheers. Oldsailor.:D

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Mike Waters - NA, is a small trimaran enthusiast from way back and has this to say about the B 24.

The Buccaneer 24' is a clever demountable design.. needs updating a bit by lengthening the main hull to flatten the buttocks and lengthening the amas to come level with the man bow. All easily done and 'Old Sailor' has the plans. Photo of two on the www.smalltrimarans.com site

If you click on that URL and scroll down to item 8, you will come across a wealth of info and some very nice pics of the two Buccaneer 24's.

Just follow the links.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.