22,000 lb displacement + Tiller?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by thelonius, Dec 2, 2006.

1. thelonius

thelonius New Member

Hi All

Thinking about replacing Edson worm steering with tiller on our boat.

Boat is a Union 36 -- 22,000lb displacement, long keel, skeg hung unbalanced rudder.

For pictures of our boat -- refer www.thelonius.com.au

I'm looking for examples of similar boats where a tiller has been successfully used.

Alajuela 38s have tillers, but rudder transom hung. I'm told there is at least one Tayana 37 with a tiller and a happy owner...

Will have autopilot with below deck linear ram.

I think we'll be okay, but we're at the high end of displacement for tiller.

Other option is Edson CDI pedestal steering.

Both options have advantages and disadvantages. Compass/binnacle and engine throttle control will have to move. And some mods to cockpit to fit tiller on rudder stock.

I'm estimating a tiller length of about 1700mm from centre of rudder stock.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

Regards
    Jon
    'Thelonius'
    Melbourne, Australia

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

We built a 33x28x10.6 offshore cruiser with 16,251 designed disp , that runs over 20,000 RFS with 737 sq ft of working sail.

The tiller is 4 ft and a cheap tiller ram autopilot does just fine.

An Aries vane gear is used for deep ocean work , as downwind it compensates for waves from astern better than the electric unit.

The Aries anticipates the stern swing , the electric can only steer AFTER it has happened.

FAST FRED

3. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Pen Duick VI , 73 ft, 70 000 lbs, skipped by Eric Tabarly had a tiller. Not a wheel.

4. QC3

QC3 Junior Member

There was a Swedish 12 Meter back in the 70's that was fitted with a tiller. I have a firend with a 44' IOR boat with a tiller. I took a day sail on a toursit-type replica 18th century bark (approx. 90' loa) that had a tiller (with block and tackles on each end to help). I know plenty of folks who would love to throw out their wheels and go back to a tiller arrangement. I think the whole key is just the length (i.e. lever arm) and how much room you have to swing the thing without totally having to redesign your cockpit working space. You will lose workable crew area because the helmsman needs that clear arc to swing the tiller. Other than that, go for it!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.