21k 30ft Cat, CSC30

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by charlesakeem, Jul 5, 2011.

1. charlesakeem

charlesakeem Junior Member

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/cheapcat.html

Does anyone have any information or opinions on this catamaran.
    Has anyone seen a build log for one of these sailed on one, think you may have seen one go buy in the distance..in the dark...through the fog of the bay...maybe anything my search skills thought not at there best at 740am without having slept yet aren't the best I haven't been able to turn up a thing.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Ask the designer ?
    RR

3. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

I also have turned nothing up on the internet about this cat, and am very curious. Though it isn't the only simple to build cheap cruising cat out there...

4. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

It was for sale so perhaps make enquiry through the brokerages. Often the simplest route is the source the designer, I am always amazed why people don't go to the designer and ask the simple questions, "could you point me to an existing owner or builder" to talk to. Schionning designs are the leader in the field of presenting their owners/builders to prospective clients.
    I feel that you would not be disappointed if you asked of the designer,he might have designed the boat out of need or want not financial gain, therefore the sales provado could be missing. Just a thought.

5. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

In general, I think it is a pretty good design, I would probably do the bridgedeck a little lower, and full width. I like how that plays structurally as well as otherwise.

This is "just" some guy's boat. Maybe he should be a well known designer, but there are several others out there who are well known, and the total built to this design may well be 1.

Another designer doing stitch and glue with similar underwater shapes is Oram. Unfortunately his plan prices are real high for those who may not make it all the way through the build. Probably 90% of plans are never built. That applies to some of Oram's personal builds, so he know where we are coming from. There have been some plan price drops recently. I would like to see more guys sell plans at reasonable prices, make money on kits, and on registration of finished designs. The era of people paying 10K for plans that sit unfinished for 10 years in their yard should be over. I know folks who are deciding their build based on the initial cost of the plans, which is relatively nuts.

Speaking of which. Anyone want Tike 46 plans?

6. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

7. charlesakeem

I hadn't checked out his designs before bu have now.
    From what the article claims there seem to have been a few made even one made as a power cat.
    I am going to try to contact the coastal passage and hope they can put me in touch with the designer. Probably will be able to talk to him after I buy a set of plans

8. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

Please keep us informed.

9. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

As peterchech says, there are a number of budget (a better word than "cheap" I think) cruising catamarans available, my 28ft Gypsy being one.

I built mine in 1996/7 and had it day sailing after 1000 hours building at a cost of GBP5000, USD7500, although I then spent more time and money fitting it out as a cruising boat.

I built the boat with foam sandwich hulls and gaboon ply decks, epoxy sheathed. I had a triradial cut, dacron mainsail and genoa, both new. However the mast was an old mizzenmast, from the 1960's, cost USD75, the boom cost USD30, the rigging wire (all new) USD10 at an auction etc etc.

I could have saved more money by building with the cheapest plywood. But I think it is very unwise (not to say stupid) to build the hulls using cheap materials. To save money you can always start with cheap used sails and upgrade them later. You don't "need" any electronics. Nor a fancy interior.

The boat I sailed on my first Atlantic crossing was built with cheap materials. It was 10 years old and already on its third set of beams and needed constant work. I don't think it ever sailed far on its return from the Caribbean a year later and so was basically thrown away.

I value my time on earth too much to spend at least two years of my life, never mind my life's savings, building a boat with no resale value and one that only lasts a few years.

Whether it is sensible to risk all (including your life) by building a boat designed by an amateur with no track record, or by a professionally qualified designer is of course a different subject altogether

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

MaddMatt likes this.
  10. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

While you are on Richard's site, check out Sango and Merlin. I think a Merlin with the pod is easily comparable to a Buccaneer 24, and you don't need to hold a seance to talk to the designer. The plans for the pod are freely downloadable. Make sure you click on "CLICK HERE to see how to save money on plans!!!" That takes you to the prices for electronic delivery.

Another designer you should be aware of is Ray Kendrick. Before you send $150 to Leon, visit the Team Scarab site.
    http://www.teamscarab.com.au/
    Currently all of their plans are $150, and they have a very nice range of tris.

In any case, if you have questions, talk to the Leon before you send money.

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

12. charlesakeem

Thank you all for the replies.
    I have decided against the piver nugget or his other designs unless i can find a good condition used one for cheap.
    I have ordered the study plans for the scarab cat fish and chips, Tried to order the study plans for the gypsy but there shopping cart either isn't working for US cards or i'm just to dense to use it. ( never heard of a start date for using credit cards)

13. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

14. charlesakeem

I may have found the boat for me Fish and chips is looking mighty good.
    Only thing I have to worry about is standing headroom or lack-thereof.
    I am curious to how he is keeping his plan price so cheap though

15. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I just looked over Ray Kendricks website, a lot of very nice looking boats and very reasonable plan prices. Some designers have a good eye, others, not so much. Kendricks has a good eye. Im a cat man myself and that fish and chips is a great looking small cat. I hope you build it and post on here when you do.
    Steve.