Centerboard or Daggerboard?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Windship277, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Windship277

Windship277 Previous Member

Im not hell bent on changing a design. I am concerned with making smaller the centerboard well. So, lol, whutya think about installing a daggerboard instead of a centerboard? I thought about making it kick up like the rudder...and what about leeboards?... Reason being, if I were going to chose a boat for offshore work 90% of the time and performance was an concern, I would have a deep keel of the fin type. A centerboard boat wouldnt normally be chosen for this. A centerboard is there for shallower depths, the kind you dont find in offshore cruising. Ill be using my boat for coastal California where the depth are deep the shores rocky and ragged and anchorages few. Ill be in deep water most of the time by far so, if I could go with a daggerboard that swings...and a daggerboard is better for beating to weather. A daggerboard and a high aspect ratio rudder. Think about what that would do for a Caledonia yawl or a Whitehall. Lol, you guys dont hate me for talkin like this do ya?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

a dagger board doesn't swing. It just goes up and down. A centerboard swings, and if properly fitted will kick up when it strikes something. Lee boards are an option but generally require bigger boards to be efficient, because usually when the leeward board is down, the windward board is up. Plus, the pivot for leeboards is usually pretty hefty compared to a centerboard. Of course, the biggest advantage to leeboards is no hole in the bottom of the boat. If this boat is big enough for offshore cruising I would stick with a centerboard. It's more efficient than leeboards, lighter, and can be raised for shallow areas but still have some of the board sticking down. A daggerboard doesn't kick up and if yoou strike something can cause damage to the hull. It's is usually more efficient for windward work, but I think that is outweighed by the negatives.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.