1956 46' Chris Craft Constellation.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Leerl2004, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Leerl2004

Leerl2004 New Member

Hello everyone, I am new here I feel as though I have stumbled upon a wealth of information from people who know what they are talking about.
    So thank you in advance.

Heres The Deal.
    -Paid 15k
    -was on a mooring ball 10yrs+ salt water
    -now in a slip
    -motors dont run. not worried about it for now
    -very little water in the bilge
    -there is major water penetration in the salon area. The wood around the windows have rott that had been filled in with bondo which I have removed ( replacing all the wood framing is not my ideal fix) I have stripped all the paint, bondo and epoxy that had been used.
    -The bullnose bow also has been hacked/patched w/ bondo/epoxy.

The first two items I would like to start with is sealing the salon area as water tight as possible and getting paint on it. Now I have let the moisture dry and applied rot ex to the areas and it has cured.

My first question is: What is the best product/material for filling in the rotted portions of the wood of which will be sanded and painted

second question: what is the best primer to use on this boat.

I know this is a big project I do have some experience but I will admit I could use some more info. I look to be living on the boat in a month and need to get her sealed up and painted on top. Living in San Diego is great it has been warm and sunny for two weeks with no rain in sight. Thank you

P1080774.JPG

2. Leerl2004

Leerl2004 New Member

A couple more pics
    P1280824.JPG

P1280825.JPG

3. Jesse 92123

Jesse 92123 New Member

CC Rider

I was the owner of the CC rider for 3 years, you are killing me that you say the engines don't work, one of the last things I did was pay foir a new engine, port side, and it's about 11 thousand I'm still paying off. It's likely still under warranty, and I left all the paperwork in the book in the yacht.

Give me a call, 619 985 0783

PS I still have the starboard driveshaft and propeller

4. Jesse 92123

Jesse 92123 New Member

Knight and Carver in National City did the hull paint around 2004, and planked over the starboard driveshaft hul opening.

5. Deadwood

Deadwood Junior Member

a non-technical question

Did you have trouble getting insurance for a wooden liveaboard? I had my eye on a 52' Connie last year and was about ready to pull the trigger when a couple of insurance companies that I spoke with said that they wouldn't insure a wooden boat that was going to be a livaboard. Full disclosure: while I have some experience in and around boats, I've never owned one and this seemed to render me a complete imbecile in their eyes. They couldn't run away fast enough. Of course, I couldn't get a slip in the marina I wanted without insurance. I am still shoreside, but have not given up hope. I may be stupid, but I'm persistent.

Thanks.

6. Jesse 92123

Jesse 92123 New Member

Boat ins.

Deadwood, are you the guy who now owns the CC Rider?

As for insurance I went to a place in OB, the policy went though Progressive

7. Deadwood

Deadwood Junior Member

Hi Jesse,

No, I'm not.

Thanks for the insurance tip. OB?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.