20m length regulations?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Red Dwarf, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

While reading up on the FPB 64 I found they are offering a 3 ft bolt on extension which helps efficiency and ride a bit.

I didn't know it but Steve mentions that there are some significant penalties associated with going over 20m (65ft) in length. I didn't think complications started until above 22m but I was wrong. I checked the USCG regs and some safety items and toilet requirements change above 20m but that is all I could find.

Steve mentions - "The main issue with 20M and above is in some areas a pilot is required, in others you are considered a ship and required to stay in the shipping lanes if traffic separation schemes are in place. There can also be different rules on the type of toilet systems required. In the US, for example, Alaska requires a pilot or costly exemption if you are not US flagged."

He mentions their 3 ft extension gets around the rule - "And the measured length of the hull? We will just say that the bolt on nature of the extension offers a degree of flexibility with “official” measurements not available with a welded extension."

Is the 20m length limit common around the world? What are some examples of what additional requirements come into play if you are a couple meters over 20m?

I would like to hear any opinions on the validity of the bolt on 3ft extensions. It seems a bit sketchy to me. Are you supposed to remove it to go through the Panama Canal or every time you enter a marina? It seems a bit risky to lie about the length.

The wording in the reg is a bit vague - "(2) The expression ``length shall be measured from end to end over the deck excluding sheer'' means a straight line measurement of the overall length from the foremost part of the vessel to the aftermost part of the vessel, measured parallel to the centerline. Bow sprits, bumpkins, rudders, outboard motor brackets, and similar fittings or attachments, are not to be included in the measurement. Length shall be stated in feet and inches."

I came across this site which covers the basics in the USA. http://www.yachtsdelivered.com/over20m.htm

2. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

Here is a picture of an outboard motor bracket with an integral swim step.

The reg specifically says that an outboard motor bracket is not part of the measured length. So make a removable transom with 4 holes at the rear which match you dingy outboard and you have an outboard mounting bracket for your emergency use only outboard.

Of course who is going to make the call on how big is too big? Can you have a 5 or 10 ft long outboard mounting bracket?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.