2015 IMOCA 60-Foil Assist

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------
    I'm not so sure about that, Nick: the boat doesn't uses rudder foils so it is depending on partial immersion of the hull for pitch control. But it won't be long now......

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. nflutter

nflutter Junior Member

foils

yep, that's true, I missed that Doug, you are correct!

I wonder why? risk that it wouldn't work? Crash loads too extreme?
    excited to see what happens anyway, and whether the class does in fact go full foiling - that would be something to behold! foiling with a canting keel, your dream!

Even if it was a skimmer, you would think that a trimmable rudder foil would give you a lot of options - like the option to not use aft water balast tanks etc. However I can think of some practical problems too, like making it more difficult to kick the rudders up, loading the rudders, more prone to breakage etc.

In the moth class, before foilers when the narrow skiffs had fixed t-foil rudders, I always reflected that they would have benefited greatly from having some adjustment in the rudder gudgeons like moths have now. So many pitch poles could have been avoided! When you sail a moth now as a low rider, it's great having that extra control.

Anyway to anyone out there who has a sports boat and wants to make it foil, I reckon the laterally sliding J foil concept has serious legs. Extra RM + safety of a V shape foil + exaggerated leeway effect + relative structural simplicity + low altitude foiling + twin T-foil rudders = potential!

5. nflutter

nflutter Junior Member

^SMA
    am I right in saying that's a fast looking boat with conventional, straight daggerboards? no DSS?
    Edit - I think I see tops of daggerboard cases a long way outboard of bottoms, so inward inclined, lifting boards i.e Comanche
    proven concept, will Safran be faster?

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

IMOCA 60 Foil Assist

From Scuttlebutt Europe today:

IMOCA 60s To Test Their New Foils In Rolex Fastnet Race

One reason the Rolex Fastnet Race is the world's biggest offshore yacht race - at present 390 boats are entered - was the decision of the Royal Ocean Racing Club to include non-IRC offshore classes: Volvo Ocean 65, the Class40, IMOCA 60, Multihulls, the latter three have their origins or being most popular in France.

The IMOCA 60s' participation this year will be particularly special as it will be the first time some of the newest generation boats destined for next year's Vendée Globe will line up. Of the 13 IMOCA 60s racing, four are new, built to the latest iteration of the IMOCA rule requiring one design masts and keels. But their most discussed feature is their giant new L-shaped foils, designed to not only to in prevent leeway, but also to operate like Dynamic Stability System-style foils, ie protruding from the leeward side of the boat to create vertical lift, added righting moment and ultimately enhanced performance.

All four boats are VPLP-Verdier designs: Banque Populaire and Hugo Boss, of Armel le Cleac'h and Alex Thomson respectively, who finished in second and third place in the last Vendee Globe; St Michel-Virbac of two time Barcelona World Race winner Jean-Pierre Dick and the latest Safran, sailed by the team's new skipper Morgan Lagravière.

fastnet.rorc.org

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Leeboards have come of age. Brilliant photos.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

IMOCA Testing

Model testing of an IMOCA 60 design:

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

IMOCA 60 Foil Assist

Hugo Boss launched and they have a different foil compared to the others:

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.