2014 everglades challenge

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Ec

=========================
    Whats your best educated guess when he'll get in?

2. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

Not a 'best' guess but a rough one. In around three hours he's maybe ordering a campari and tonic.

No, I'm deliberately lying. There is no Campari at the Bay Cove Motel. No matter how much Sewsew acquired a taste for it in Italy, he'll have to make do with beer instead.

:(

3. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

1 day, 12 hours 33 minutes?

:p

4. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I have a nit to pick with SOS.

I know this Watertribe stuff is like a family tradition for him, but how many times does he suppose he will have a chance to race there against an Olympic sailing medalist, etc. etc. etc. - instead of a bunch of well-meaning, but not so challenging, old farts?

Huh?

If you look at Mosquito's track down from Tampa to Venice, he seems to be doing jags all the way into the beach about 4 times. What was that about?

His coming too late to avoid being stuck in Chokoloskee Bay (while Sewsew sailed the entire leg to CP3) was not because of any fault with his boat.

I was hoping that (after all that boat-prep), that they were going to make a race of it, instead of...

:rolleyes:

5. Noeettica

Noeettica Junior Member

I am Rooting for "MicroTom" ;-)

[​IMG]

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Ec

=================
    Randy finished at 6:18. 1 day 11 hours according to foghorn.....

7. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Some entertainment at Checkpoint 3 just before dawn today.

SOS/Mosquito had come in late, at low tide, calm conditions, and having a good lead on the next boats they succumbed to the temptation to go ashore and get some sleep.

SOS's father (and Sandybottoms husband), who was ashore somewhere else, was alarmed to see them sleeping while he watched Swampmonkee's track gradually closing in on the Checkpoint, and he wrote a series of posts on the checkpoint 3 thread of the forum trying to get someone to go wake the Mosquito boys up. No easy task, I suppose?

Swampmonkee came into the checkpoint on high tide at 4:38 am, even earlier than 'Danceswith SandyBottom' had feared. The Mosquitos had been rousted and launched off in darkness at about the same time, Swampmonkee choosing to do the same.

Mosquito decided to sail west and south around all the shallow water, and as you see from the screen grab, Swampmonkee chose to go through some shallow water, appearing to stop up a little bit, and without as much speed as Mosquito, but a shorter path. What happens next is uncertain, because both their trackers have been silent for a while;

This was from over an hour ago, on the left SOS at 0704hrs doing 11.6 kn.
    On the right Swampmonkee at 0716hrs doing 0 kn. I wonder what might have slowed them down?

0716SOSvSM.jpg

8. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Then it took an hour or so before the positions refreshed, here's SOS (left at 0814hrs) and Swampmonkee (right, at 0747hrs), having a busy morning!

Speed reported was 6.5 kts and 6.2 kts

SOS&SM0814:0747.jpg

9. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I think it was 1 day, 11 hours and 18 minutes (if the start was at 7 sharp on Saturday).

;)

10. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Update!

Swampmonkee vs. Mosquito:

Somehow the long-suffering, forever in 3rd place Swampmonkee, which looked overloaded and stern-heavy in yesterday's video, is still defending her ascension to 2nd place over the nimble and light trimaran Mosquito, sponsored and skippered by the oligarchy of the Everglades Challenge!

This despite the former having speed readings of zero much of the morning, during which the latter was initially enjoying 11+ knots; and while Swampmonkee appears to defiantly rush from one shallow area to the next, Mosquito has no such worries, but is perhaps stuck in some fiendish wind-shifts?

This time I've overlaid the 2 tracker maps, showing their relative positions better. Mosquito's speed was 5.3 kts at 0924hrs, Swampmonkee's speed given at 0 (again) at 0915hrs

overlay 0924&0915.jpg

11. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Mosquito's unpleasant wake-up call this morning has been aggravated by the formerly 4th place 'Frankenscot'/Two Beers now being just ahead of them...

See their separate 'Frankentracker'.

They got to CP3 at about 4:50 am and also took the shorter route through the sea grass.

:)

12. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Worse, and worser!

worse&worser.jpg

Mosquito (left) at 0954hrs speed 2.8 kts. Swampmonkee at 0945, 3.9 kts.

... Mosquito's being in deeper water is causing them to have a track like that, there's current in their way?

It's not so much fun when it happens to me, but I get a sadistic pleasure watching others in these pickles.

lol

13. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

So this is as much orienteering as it is sailing :)

14. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

A collage of 3 tracker maps, Swampmonkees start from Flamingo got overlaid by Frankenscot's track, but it shows SOS (left at 1103hrs, 2.59 kts) Frankenscot center, at 1130hrs, speed unknown), and Swampmonkee (leading, 1055 hrs, 3.65 kts).

EvergladesCollage.jpg

15. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

Does the SOS tri have a prohibitively deeper draft than the other boats? Huge loss of mileage on their course.

I'm all about the Scot. They race them extensively where I am on the Gulf Coast, and the guys who race them are excellent, AND... everyone openly mocks the design. It's a popularly loathed boat, and the FrankenScot guys have done an excellent job fixing those problems.

I wish there was a better photo/video page for this race. It's a fantastic event.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.