2012-boatbuilding -analysis paralysis and- decisions!! decisions!!! grrr(!)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tugboat, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

This is really great all the responses- to be honest i didnt want to stir up any controversy, I dont know why i even am worried, its out of my character and im pretty much a grounded personal and lean towards skepticism. I guess water and boats are so important to me that to think there might be an end to my passion , that there might be no more swimming off the deck or exploring new places etc, doesnt feel good. at least the prospect of it doesnt.
    I was checking out the water levels on georgian bay yesterday and its looks like its down about 18 inches from where the water marks are on the steel corrugated breakwaters. Its sad to see the once great lakes dying off..i now call them the "late great lakes"

anyway after hearing all the differing opinions on here the one constant seems to be- enjoy the moments (and boating) for the now- so i am going to just keep holding onto the beleif that when our number is up its up regardless. which means i think i will continue on my search for a good hull. i will look into the many ideas presented here, and can only say thanks for all the positive input and kind remarks without any judgment...everyone here should be commended cuz there are lots of posts elsewhere, that do not have the sailors tribe connection happening. so- many thanks!..i have learned a lot ...ill try to respond to what gets said...
    btw does anyone know much about the cat d4600 marine? the serial number is 1n 395 sp. The engine is large and robust. i have not had it running and wanted to figure out how to start it up in its steel cradle see how it runs and get an idea of its condition- i bought it over the winter. also true marshmat, there are a lot of tugs around, i have looked at some older russel brothers tugs..there is ville class hull in port dover at gamble shipyard but he wants way more than its worth...and he is a grumpy miserable guy- i tried to get it once but he seems to be unwilling to part with it. hoarding it in a way. he has about ten or more tug hulls all of which id snatch up if i had the money for one but all of them are over priced. sigh...i really love the ville class tugs..they were one of the best all purpose tugs ever built. easy on fuel...
    one more quick ponderance- anyone think the 75 hp cat would consume as much fuel as im told?..what could i expect running at displacment speed on that old diesel?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Erik has the right idea. 2012 is relative to the calendar that one might use.

There is a dwarf star out there named Gliese 710. It is said to be 85% certain that the object will enter our solar system at some point in time. If that does take place then there will be some earthly disturbances of catastrophic proportions. When does this happen? The best estimates are at 1.5 million years hence. Not a long time in the geological sense but plenty of time for us to use our boats.

An asteroid, of notable size, has been observed to be approaching us. It is calculated to arrive in 2029. The probability of an earth strike is very small at 1 in 55,000. If it passes us by there will be almost no terrestrial disturbance because it is not sufficiently large to influence our gravitational fields.

Both those are observable realities. Neither is of such concern that we must make preparations. The most widely publicized risks are almost entirely based on the stuff of super market tabloids and supernatural mysticism and have no basis that can be observed.

For those interested in astronomical phenomea, like the above bits and other items like solar flares, cosmic radiation and more earthly things like satelite and shuttle flybys, see swlist@spaceweather.com That is a site that is associated with NASA. Another site of interest to some is; www. lanl.gov/archive/astro-ph

3. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Erik- you make a good point as well- the mayan calender is relevant to our culture not the chinese- in a way its kind of absurd to beleive anything will happen...

...I love sailing but i love the convenience of pushing a starter button and going in calm weather too!...im getting too old for single handing and im a loner. so i prefer to go alone when i go on the water. When i worked on the tugs I really loved the feeling of standing on the aft deck of a tug and watching the propwash as we pushed a barge or held fast a vessel...thats why i want a tug- i want to feel that joy again of the power under my feet and the raw power, beauty and the function of a tugs lines. they are highly agile, and can turn on a dime.,designed for bollard pull not speed. this is i guess where im leaning. my thought was if i built a tug i could then build a large houseboat perhaps a two story and use the tug as a tender vessel. circumventing legalities as far as the registrations are concerned with a large barge houseboat type vessel. The tug could be lived on until the houseboat was built. the reason i havent bought a hull is 1. immediate money output and 2. i am very picky on my design features when it comes to a tug hull..ive looked at fish tug hulls but they just arent designed to be as functional as a model bow tug. so the best way to get what i want is build my own...i can build a small tug say 30 ft maybe even 40ft'er for around 4000-5000 hull alone..thats a pretty good eal and if i find deals on parts i could expect to build one for around 12 000!(i costed out all the second hand parts and steel etc so i figured out my expenditure) much less than buying...
    thoughts on this???

4. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Messabout-- again...i like what i am hearing here. i am starting to understand that there is no real evidence anything will happen at all--that it is pure speculation..which is kind of reassuring...

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

What is the date according to the planet? What is the date according to time itself? 2012 is an arbitrary number... picked in an arbitrary fashion because someone decided to call a certain point of time in x billions of years...1. There are various cultures in the world that have totally different calendars...arbitrary also. To assign significance to an arbitrary point in a timeline that spans eons is like predicting my toenail is going to fall off on a certain day at a certain hour, minute, second, nanosecond... X years from now.

6. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

ps didn't they just run out of room on the rock they were carving? ;)

7. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

wonder if 2012- was used because the evil 2013 follows it--13 being an occult number?

8. Outlaw45

Outlaw45 Senior Member

tugboat, well we made it this far, but wondering where you made it to. the last post was almost 2 yrs ago. have you bought a tug or are you building one or for bid, are you just a troller on here?

Outlaw

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I am starting to have trouble with that toenail

10. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

in the early build stages for a 27.5 ft tug, have now completed the frames but waiting for spring to put up the building ways.-- but also trolling about to see whats new--some of these posts are like journal entries--see how far ive come...
    see pics of the wood shanty style boat below i built last summer to be pushed by the tug--but since got an offer on it and sold it but started building this tug- 27.5 ft, twin or single--this is my rhino rendering of it...designed b y mal low- i designed the wheelhouse. the design is called the Porker- i have gained permission from him to post my renderings...

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.