world record attempt

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Dan Ellison, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

Anyword on when one of the "big buck" super teams(quicksilver, wicks ,warby) are going to attempt the record. I am just a 1 man garage operation with no money and I've built 7 top fuel hydro's, 3 that have set two world records, two championships, and multiple national event wins, all in three years. First boat hit the water in 05. Surely with all the resourses and money collected in the last 8 yrs one of them is ready! www.ellisonraceconcepts.com

2. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Junior Member

I would hardly call Warby's deal a "Mega buck super team" the other 2 are dreamers/clowns, KW has a boat built ready to run, but why if there are no REAL challengers?? it would be a different deal if there were somebody that was ready to run, 30 plus years holding the record, he is better to wait for somebody to have a crack at it, he built the boat that currently holds the world record in a backyard ( no shed or cover over the boat, ) of a rented house,out in the open with 3-4 power tools, built, designed and drove ( the first in history to do so) it to 2 world records, plus first over 300MPH, and the only person alive that has EVER held a Unlimited world record, all this 30 plus years ago, and with NO money, the cost of the boat that currently holds the record would be far less then many trailers that take drag boats to races, not many people really know how basic Ken's work environment was while building Spirit of Australia , But being a seasoned racer, boat builder, and engineer helped make his dream come true and got him over the line, most of theses qualities are missing in nearly all challengers

Sustained high speed is a VERY different deal to 1/4 stuff, a few people have found out the hard way

Regards
    David

3. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

David, what Warby did was amazing and your right about the other two.Thats my point,alot of talk and money and NO results. I designed, built and would drive my own if I had deeper pockets. I can only provide teams with a capable hull. We accellerate to 220mph in 660',run through the quarter(1320') over 250mph and then stop in a short distance, that means you better have a stable hull. I am VERY confident I can run over 300 with my hull on a kilo course and actually be more stable than when we drag race the hull. happy new year ,Dan

4. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Junior Member

I think there is a number of people capable of designing and building a wwsr boat, But how many people want to put their butt in the boat and drive it, being a designer, builder and driver is an advantage as you know what your driving and can sort it out, Wicks and Macknight have been trying to bleed a big cheque out of a sponsor for years ( some decades) trying to be-dazzle people with ******** . BUT can't deliver on a running boat, just talk in search of the million dollar deal with crap designs, I think the boat is the easier part of the deal if you know how to build, design and drive, getting the money to pay for testing, logistics, spending time on the water getting to know your craft, and your team getting use to seeing and working around a VERY high speed craft is where the money is spent, The last thing I would want is a BIG dollar sponsor telling me when to run, I would want to make that call. I appreciate your drag boat efforts, but running a boat over a distance of 8-10 miles at VERY high speed is much hard, as you have to design a boat that can handle all types of water conditions, water moves and rolls around all the time, you can't control the conditions on a 8-10 mile run, and if you design a boat for mirror smooth water, can you afford to sit around with a team of people for months waiting for the ideal conditions?... this was a problem with Campbells boat, on the 1/4 mile, you can see the conditions your about to drive in, and is easier to control the conditions, but it is much harder when you traveling at 1000 meters per 6 seconds, so a boat built to handle the conditions and deal with a bit of chop will be king

The World water speed record very sadly only interests a small amount of people nowadays compared to the hay days of record breaking when this guys where the fastest men alive, and if your looking for a Deal for big bucks it is hard to offer them a heap of TV time, and thats what most sponsors want, and record runs get over shadowed by many other motorsports that get hours of TV time, a record run only gets 2 minutes on the news, so the chase for the dollar is very very hard,

Happy new year

David

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.