2006 Bayliner 175 won't die when key turns off

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gailgail, May 22, 2006.

1. gailgail

gailgail New Member

I have a 2006 Bayliner 175 boat. When I turn the key off, the motor still keeps running. I turn the key back on and back off again and then it will die. What could be the problem?

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Could be the charging circuit is energizing the ignition? What happens if you turn the key off at cruise speed?

3. gailgail

gailgail New Member

I haven't tried that.

4. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

When you turn it off, is it still idling smoothly as if it didn't know you turned the key off, or is it "dieseling" - coughing and sputtering but refusing to die? And is the boat fuel injected or carburated?

5. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I think it may be the key switch. Look fo a loose connector first, then price a replacement. They go bad pretty quick, espically if they are eposed to water all the time.

Your problem is the opposite that most have though - will turn on:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.