New to boats, just purchased my first old used boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by doox00, Jun 1, 2005.

1. doox00

doox00 New Member

Hey all,

I just purchased my first boat. (drive across state to pick it up this coming weekend) I do not know much about them but came across a 1971 larson 16' fishing boat with a 100hp evinrude motor on it. The boat is in very good condition, the motor runs good. My question is how much does this boat weigh approx? I just have a little car with a 1000lbs towing capacity and I cannot find anywhere on the web on how much about this boat/trailer/motor weighs. I did call somewhere locally and asked and they guessed maybe 1000 pounds total and that my ford focus zx3 could tow it, but would have problems pulling it out from the water. So I guess my question is, anyone more familiar with larson boats, being that old know how much this may way total and will my car tow it?
    here is a pic of the boat.

http://www.balancedblade.net/files/larson.jpg

thanks for any help

2. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I found data on similar sized modern fiberglass boats and added 10 lbs to be safe (and another 450 lbs., about 120 lbs over the 90 hp evinrude salt water that is current). Total weight? A 16' bayliner weighs about 1289 w/o engine. With engine, just under 1840 lbs. Your boat? Probably Spring for a used pickup truck maybe? BTW: Is the boat fiberglass? Also, perhaps you could try to use a truck scale? Maybe? Pop it on a trailer pulled by a pickup and then put it on a truck scale, subtracting the weight of the truck. Perhaps this'll work. Still, I doubt your car could tow it.

3. doox00

doox00 New Member

yeppers, the boat is fiberglass. I figured as much, that I would need to look for a used pickup to tow it :)

4. mackid068

Yeah, but don't fret. A used pickup will work just as well :) Still, it seems like the boat is in good condition, so that's a good thing.

5. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

6. mackid068

Nice picture. LOL! :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.