2005 5oHP Merc Water pump hrd to change?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Drake66, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Drake66

Drake66 New Member

I took my boat out for the first time this year...yea I know its a little late, anyway, I thought I had "pisser" pressure from my water pump at first, but while running down the lake ...no pisser stream. I did not get any alarm, shut it off asap, took the cover off didn;t seem to be hot. Made my way back in to the dock. NOW WHAT?

How can I check it out, is there a fuse to check first? I have middle of the road mechanical ability, is the water pump hard to change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Hi,
    I have had troubles with the Merc 50 fourstroke water cooling, and if you ask your Merc dealer they may admot to a field recall on early models for a blocked water pipe at the base of the power head, caused by corrosion of the aluminium squashing a copper pipe.

First however, check if you have a real problem. Most tell tale problems are caused by blocked telltales.
    First poke a piece of thin wire up the hole with the engine running and this will probably sove it.
    If not take the cover off and trace the pipe inside to where ot comes off the top of the cylinder head and remove the pipe / hose and check if this is blocked.
    Good luck

Hugh Mattos
    Chartered engineer
    www.explorermarine.co.uk

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.