2003 Johnson 115 electrical problem

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rovi, Sep 13, 2015.

1. rovi

rovi Junior Member

Hello everybody, what could be causing the fuse on a 2 cycle 115 johnson to be blown? I narrowed the fault to the store wire (black with white stripe).Whenever I disconnected the wire everything is ok but as soon as I make contact the fuse blows.I have checked the wire in its entirety and nothing looks or feels usual, any suggestions? Thanks for any reply

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What do you mean by "store" wire ?

3. rovi

rovi Junior Member

Sorry, I meant stop wire

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Your best plan would be to buy a good workshop manual that covers your engine. In there you will find wiring diagrams and diagnostic procedures. I vaguely remember having a problem with a Johnno that blew fuses, and the problem was in the control unit, but you should go one step at a time with the troubleshooting routine laid out in the manual.

5. rovi

rovi Junior Member

I'm trying to source one but I'm not seeing any online

6. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

the problem is going to be in the control box harness... or the key switch... and the wire should be black with yellow stripe.... not white stripe... the black and yellow stripe is a direct ground to the engine .... a outboard uses a magneto key switch.... in this case ... the magneto wire is grounded to kill the ignition.... so you will have a pinched or bare red wire somewhere in the harness... and its grounding to the red hot wire.... power is never applied to black and yellow wire... .
    red.... hot from battery side of solenoid to key switch
    yellow and red.... crank
    purple.... choke
    grey ..... tach
    yellow and black... kill
    pretty simple... but you could have the wrong type key switch..... i would check that first....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.