Commander Hawke Bow Steer

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Joe Surgenor, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Joe Surgenor

Joe Surgenor New Member

Has any of the forum readers experienced "bow steer" in a Commander Hawke? the boat has a Dominator jet and a 496 HO (415HP). The boat is good at any spped up to 45 but at 50 mph @ 5000 RPM the boat steers to the right and does not seem to respond to left steering input. After the boat slows it regains normal steering.
    Joe

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Never driven a Hawke or anything similar, so I can't speak from experience. It does sound, though, like you have the common jetboat problem of inadequate directional stability. Basically, at 50+ there's not enough boat in the water for it to know which way is forward. High-performance jetboats often have a small fin hanging off the pump to help with this, as seen on the Aggressor pump shown below. Tracking fins and micro-keels of various sorts seem to be among the various devices used to solve this problem, but I'm afraid I can't offer any more than that at present since I've never seen this boat.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.