2001 75 Merc 4 stroke (carb)

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by KXBill, Jul 26, 2011.

1. KXBill

KXBill New Member

Having low speed idle problems that have gotten worse.:( Won't even start now.
    Suspect carb/s problem. Is there a 3rd source of rebuild kit's for these carb's?
    I found a 3rd source of parts for older Merc's but it seems to dry up for the newer motors. I have 4 carbs that I may be able to rebuild. Merc want's 135 bucks per kit. If their un-build-able, it's 6 to 7 bills each, for new carbs.
    I'm not ready to give up Boating but I tell yah, Kayaking is looking real good too me.:)
    KXBill

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Check for fuel hose leaks. These engines have a lot of short hoses between the carbs and longer ones from the bottom carb to the fuel pump and filter, all of dubious quality.
    If the pump sucks air only the lowest carb gets enough fuel at idle rpm, causing the engine to stall. If it worsens, it won't start at all.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Number 1 test,-- pump the bulb while its running, if it recovers it the supply.

Leaking hoses will result in fuel leaks when priming also.

However being slow speed problem rules out a fuel supply anyway.

Fuel starvation would manifest itself at high speed.

I would not pay 135 bucks either but I would still strip them a lot of bits are just O rings and gaskets, patience and a steady hand with some scissors will make gaskets.

Your prob will only be the idle circuit any way.

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

You may want to run some Seafoam through the engine. Pour it in the gas tank, run until the engine starts smoking. Shut off let it sit over night then run again. Seafoam is an amazing solvent for cleaning carb deposits. The engine will smoke until the seafoam is gone.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Seafoam,---Or you could get some feathers on a stick and put some paint on your face and dance around it at midnight carefully shaking the magic stick over the offending carburettor.

If you have any left it can cure Lumbago and all other ailments. A fresh tank of gas would better than one with Jet A1 fuel in it.
    Save the money for some gasket paper.

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I dont think frosty likes Sea Foam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.