1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

20' Silhouette Deckboat Molds for sale $4000.00

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by Tk7000, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Tk7000

Tk7000 Junior Member

20' Tunnel Hull deckboat molds for sale $4000.00
    located southern california
    TK7000@gmail.com

$4k - Jet outboard outdrive family deckboat tunnel hull molds for sale

IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5664.jpeg

2. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

Keith never did anything with them, that's too bad. I sold him the original plug, he seemed gung ho to resurrect them. We used to have fun building them back in the day.

3. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

Hello Cobra1. New member and probably not the best way to do this but would like to get more info on a 20' Silhouette o/b project I picked up since you are familiar with these hulls. Thanks.

4. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

Hello Cobra1. New member and probably not the best way to do this but would like to get more info on a 20' Silhouette o/b project I picked up.

5. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

What would you like to know?

6. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

A prior owner was experimenting with handling fixes or improvements by extending the strakes on the outside sponsoons all the way to the transom. Looks like they ripped a triangular section off a 2x4 and screwed wooden extensions into the hull. Then then sealed and painted over, no glass. Was there any proposed mods to the mold where I should consider redoing this or was the handling fine and they should be removed?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  7. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

That's nut's. We did do a few that we did mod's on, but it was the first 7' of the the nose. It was done to keep the spray coming over the front, knock it down a bit.
    The problem with the boat is the center sponson. I think Rick was using a chinese measuring tape when he built that part of it. I bought the original plug from him about 15 years ago +or-. We never had any handling issues up to 70-75. when you get up past 80, it can be a handfull.

8. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

A prior owner extended the strakes on the outside sponsoons to the transom by ripping a triangular shaped section from a 2x4 and bonding to the hull. Looks like they were experiencing with some handling fixes or improvements. It was not permanent and now in poor shape. Is there a good reason to redo this mod or should I remove the hack work and leave those strakes as they were in the mold?
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll remove the remains of this mod.

Did any of the o/b versions have stringers added? Mine does not but has a good set of knees bracing the transom. How far of a setback could I go with the 3.0 Merc 225 it came with.

Also, my center sponsoon has 3/4" x 2" rectangles of missing gel. What do you think this was?

I really like the hull but as you can see needs a lot of love.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  9. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

They had stringers in the sponsons, nothing on the top of the tunnel, just balsa core. Couldn't say about the gel. Post up a pic of the boat, if you can.
    We used to have have Larry ??? last name shoot the gel coat, his father in law did Eliminator boats. Last I saw of Larry he was on River Daves Place in the forums, goes by gelcoater. The boat liked outboards the best, a V6 or V8 merc was good, heavy *** jets, not so much.

10. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

Here are a few pics when I picked it up a few years back. Completely sun baked where much of the vinyl was gone and the foam destroyed. Interior was a complete throw away. Auto paint over the gel...retro mid 90's Go Suns theme. Went from orange, to pearl white to purple...purple carpet + seats. Only part pretty cool was the airbrushed gorilla on the cowl of the Merc.

Attached Files:

11. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

I wouldn't go any more than a 6" set back, it will get squirrely when you go more than that. That's an expensive interior to do, they were paying 4K back then t oget themm done, in house as well. We had one of the first Opti outboards on the market, ran out of gas on Pleasent breaking it in, I don't know why he didn't throw a 5 gallon can in the boat, that was a bad day. After the break in we tested about a dosen props for it, best was a 3 blade merc prop netting about 75 with 2 people and 1/2 a fuel load, on Pleasant.

12. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

It came with a cast set back spacer and a Land & Sea jack plate. Total around 9-10 inches. Pump on the plate leaked down but did work. I took it apart and hope to get it together but it's been a while and you know how that goes. I was considering replacing the old outdated set-up with a Bob's unit.

They had fun in this thing. Cleaned out lots of beads, beer cans, cigarette packs, loose change from behind the tanks and below the floor. Last regisered in 2003 so the boat sat. 3.0 fuel injected Merc super clean and low hours. Probably only saw a handful of summers before being left in a side yard. There was enough blue 1mm x1mm squares of blue tarp ruminants in the tunnels to recolor 20230430_145805.jpg my driveway.

13. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

....also found a deal on Craigs on seats. Came from Eliminator in Riverside. Customer had a new interior being put in and their interior shop listed these. They are in good usable shape just super heavy as they are all composite/no wood. Bench seat is too wide but I plan to section it to fit. This leaves the side panels and the open bow to deal with.

Attached Files:

14. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

Cut the bench in half, put a french stitch seam in the middle, bottom's should be easy to take out what you need and stitch a new panel on the side, or spend more money and redo them. Side panels can be simple, cut the plywood, cover with resin, get some vinyl, 1/2" or 1/4 scrim and some fat cord/welt 3/8" to 1/2", stainless staples and she's done.

20 years ago, who was the owner 20 years ago?

15. Silhouette20

Silhouette20 New Member

The seats were a good find and will make the interior job go much quicker.

The hull is stripped bare and ready for exterior work. I towed it over to a marine shop in Deer Valley in hopes to sand off the auto paint and then restore the white gel. Paint tech said the gel was pretty thin and he suspected they hit it with a d/a sander to get the auto paint to stick. He did not think there would be much left to work with after getting the auto paint sanded off. Then suggested a complete re-gel as that shop does not do auto paint which I am considering for cost savings. Neighbors brother sprays cars for a living but to do this ourselves, I'd still want to get the hull turned over where the repairs to the bottom could be done properly. Would consider towing to LHC or Southern Cal if I could find the right person for the job. Any suggestions? Wonder what TK7000 would charge for an old school build from the mold with 3 or 4 colors of gel at that point. Just trying to think outside the box.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.