2 small waterjets in a 8 m boat

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by mselle, Sep 5, 2004.

1. mselle

mselle Transportation Designer

Hi guys, I would like to know if this combination will work:

Take two waterjets from scooters with a small displacement (1.0 to 1.5 liter) but 120 to 180 hp and put them in a "normal" 8 meter CC Fast Fisherman.

Is the driveline able to cope with a complete different type of boat?

Marco.

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

The large difference in displacement will probably give you problems in respect to accelaration, but for propulsion I don't see why it wouldn't work!

3. Jeff Walkowiak

Jeff Walkowiak cobra jet steering

yamaha and sea doo use jet ski engines and make twin engine boats all the time, they use 2 and 4 stroke engines and superchargers as well, Sea doo has engines in 2 stroke that are 130 hp out of the box and 4 stroke s/c with 215 hp / just remember fuel efficiency is not good with a jet drive.

4. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

We build fast inflatable RIBS. I would reccommend a good study of the Hamilton Jet website. They have the most experience of jet design and their website is the best source - other than their excellent engineers of course - www.hamjet.co.nz -

good luck
    Hugh Mattos
    www.explorermarine.co.uk

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.