Restoring Cockpit Sole

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Michael Clark, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Hi, All! I have a 1963 Owens Sea Skiff and I want to resurface the cockpit sole with a nice wood and nice white caulk stripes (maybe I'll go darker with caulk). I've been told that teak is the way to go, but this is a working person's cruiser -- not a Chris Craft. So I want to maintain that down-to-earth (or down-to-the water) quality. I've been told that Oregon pine is an option (Douglas Fir). Right now the sole deck is plywood with a vinyl striped covering (I forget the name, but it's well known).

Any thoughts? I want to get some color on the cockpit deck, and thus teak's greying quality is not what I want. If I use teak, can I stain it? Is that a crime against nature?

Thanks!

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

1st all wood will grey with age and exposure.
    2nd teak is often stained to maintain it's color. So nothing sacrilegious there. However, many stains damage the caulking.
    3rd teak is very hard and makes kind wearing decking, which is heavy.
    4th fiir is lighter, softer and prone to splinters.

Have you considered cork or faux cork?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I like the vinyl idea !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.