Adding mast and sail on a RIB

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Arkontis, May 20, 2017.

1. Arkontis

Arkontis New Member

I own a 6,5m RIB with a 200hp engine. I am considering the idea of fitting a Laser mast in the anchor chain box (nearly in the forward end of the water line) and attach a large removable rudder onto the outboard, to act as combined rudder and keel. I only need to sail downwind or on broad reach. Quietly and without engine noise. For other directions I can use the engine. Has anyone any experience or advice for such a setup?
    Thanks
    Arkontis

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You can probably get away with that method but only if you are sailing downwind or on a very broad reach. The RIB will probably move but not very fast. With a sail as small as the Laser on a boat that may be in the thousand pound plus range, you will not get great performance. Performance also depends on wind strength.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Speed will be woeful. If the tide/current is opposing you, you could be at a standstill. I think it fair to say the sail large enough to move a planing boat along smartly, would be easily capable of toppling the boat.

Last edited: May 22, 2017

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A Laser sail offer about 1.3 HP in 10 knots of wind. Pull out a small trolling motor and see what she'll do with this power to weight ratio, as it'll offer an idea of what you can expect from a little sail. A lug or sprit rig might be more beneficial, as you can get more area for the same hoist, as the Bermudian rig of the Laser and it's more powerful off wind.