making an engine "Dog House"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jbird4824, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jbird4824

jbird4824 New Member

I know this is not a new topic. i found one from almost 2 yrs ago. one member stated this,

Im new to this as well as the last guy that was wondering about building a Dog House.

I really like this idea, but what does everyone else think?
    why would you need to epoxy and BTI, then cover with fairing putty?
    would not just the Fairing putty be strong enough without the epoxy and BTI?

Thanks!

Jay

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

We've been down this road before - first, state your definition of "doghouse". The old response was to an engine cover. Fairing putty, itself, is not to be used for anything. There has to be fibers for strength.
    BTI, BTW, is from Brunswick, Bayliner, as far as I know the inventor of "combination cloth" that got us out of the matt/roving age. Since I wrote this, I have been using cloth a lot more because it is so pleasant to work with and drapes well. The problem is that one layer of cloth is not sufficient to protect foam. Light, indeed is foam with fabric/epoxy over but if wear, at all, is expected, I'd go with a high quality plywood (Shelman okume is great) and 1 layer of 7oz. cloth (by the time you have enuf glass to protect the foam, plywood is lighter - especially this okume). Low quality ply is never a bargain.

3. jbird4824

jbird4824 New Member

Sorry, Thought the topic of this thread gave away the definition of "Dog house". Thanks for the reply. So foam is out. Sounded like a good idea though.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I second the motion. Foam is for making beer coolers not engine covers.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

You are talking about an engine cover? Foam is good if not a lot of abuse. Very light. Very stiff. Will also transmit sound from engine well...Yes, believe it or not, I didn't look at the heading but just came here when you emailed me.

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Foam is for making beer coolers not engine covers." I would say it depends on the application of the boat, despite your slight.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.