Converting! please read

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Carolina Flare, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Carolina Flare

Carolina Flare Junior Member

Hello
    I hope someone will reply. I think I'm posting this in the correct place.

I have been looking at marine diesel engines for a boat I'm designing. Most of the engines I have looked at are used because of cost but I have found a brand new generator engine.
    Bad part it is it is not set up for a boat. I know that I will need another manifold,water pump and what else?. It does have a turbo charger.
    It's a John Deere model 6068HF475 generator engine that looks from what pictures I have to be complete.
    Will it cost alot to convert this engine?
    Thank you very much for your help

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I would keep looking for a "marine" engine that comes with everything you'll need. Aftermarket coolers, water jacketed turbo, wet manifold, raw water pump will set you back considerable bucks, dollars better spent on a solid boat motor. Wait, its a generator motor, so you're also going to need a transmission with a cooler and an adaptor and damper plate. Some internal parts may be different too, important things that dont show like bearings and rods, even pistons, crank and cam are very heavy duty items, part of the reason why marine engines are so pricey.
    Many used marine engines are sold in pairs, often one running, the other not. If you are handy it is often possible to build one good running motor from the parts of both.
    Its also a good idea to look for dealers in your area and verify parts availability before making your purchase.
    Do some reading on Boatdiesel.com, great site!

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check Boatsandharbors

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

We have quite an extensive DIY marinizing section.....

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Most other small engines are simple conversions or marinizations of truck or earth moving engines.

The big buck parts for marinization is the extra wet system for cooling a wet exhaust and a wet exhaust manifold.

If you are designing the boat go for keel cooling and dry stack exhaust.

Far less hassle , much cheaper and easiest to live with in freezing temperatures,\\FF

6. Carolina Flare

Carolina Flare Junior Member

I'm so glad that you all repled.Thanks to all for the sound advice!!!! I will take it and look for a engine that I can work on myself and friends help. I wanted more horse power anyway.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

With the proper amount of engine room ventilation DESIGNED IN FROM THE START, the engine room temperatures can be held to 110F or worse 120F

This will assure good fuel mileage and full power.

This temp is easily done either with a wet exhaust or a dry that is properly blanketed.

If you chose a dry exhaust look at the silencers made for gen sets , hospital critical being the quietest.

Can sometimes be found used , all are heavy 150 lbs+, but what price SILENCE?

FF

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hospital critical mufflers are really quiet. Also, an exhaust pointed up sends most of the noise up and away.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hello,

I like to bring this post to your attention again!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.