Can I import a 2 stroke motor to CA from Australia?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by DennisRB, Jan 14, 2012.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I can not find the Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke motor that I want in USA. They are not legal to buy new. But can I bring one with me from Australia in my luggage? They only weigh 26kg (58lbs) which is why I want one.

Will it matter if the engine is used or new? Could there be probs with the airline when trying to bring a motor in?

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I don't think there are any customs restrictions at all on used personal goods apart from the obvious.

For example, you could bring in a used automobile that doesn't meet current EPA or DOT (road safety) standards. You would not be able to drive it because you couldn't pass emissions tests at inspections, but there is nothing preventing you from bringing it into the country.

Since nobody inspects 9.9 engines for use on the water, you could easily run yours. I had a 2 stroke Tohatsu 5 or 6HP years ago here in the USA. I could still run it today if I owned it. There are no restrictions.

Alternatively, if you are looking for a 9.9 two stroke, Evinrude makes them and sells them currently in the USA. They are easier to use because they have direct oil injection. No mixing. Also great fuel economy for a 2 stroke.

You just have to put it as checked baggage at the airport, like we do with snowboards or something else. It might be heavy though and incur a fee for that with the airline, but you have to check with the airline on that.

I think it will be easier if it's new. They airline wouldn't take kindly to gasoline spilling out of a carb. :)

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Thanks. The reason I like the Tohatsu 9.8 is that it weighs the same as most 8hps. 57lbs All other 9.9s are tuned down 15s and weigh around 75lbs. If I was to get one of those I would just get a 15hp.

I am worried about the airline. I would make sure there is no fuel in the motor by removing the carbie and blowing out the crankcase, but I wonder if this would be good enough.

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Dennis,

It is actually illegal to import a new 2 stroke into the US. That being said once it has been cranked a few times it is no longer new.

5. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Yeah thats what I thought which means I am screwed. USA wont allow a new outboard in - the airlines wont allow a used on on their plane.

6. cor

cor Senior Member

I once shipped a 10 hp motor thru the mail. I removed the lower unit and seperated the power head from the transom part. This made three pieces that were alot eaiser to pack (smaller and lighter).

C.O.
    http://www.rudstrom.blogspot.com/

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

A customs guy isn't going to know if your outboards is new or used. Put a couple scuffs on it if worried. The illegal part, I think, would be importing it for sale in the USA.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Well no its not
    its just illegal to import an engine that doesnt meet current standards
    Every Evinrude currently sold in the US is a 2 stroke

9. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Meaning you imported parts. As far as I know, there is no restriction on parts;)

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

11. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Powerabout,

You are correct, and I misspoke. The restrictions are actually on emissions not the technology. That being said when talking about small lightweight outboards it amounts to a defacto ban on small 2 stroke outboards since none of them can meet the emission requirements.

12. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

fuel tank is the main problem either take it off and by another in the us or what I do with small outbords is fill the tank with foam and that is ok .

13. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

You showed me that used outboard place a while ago and I just missed out on the motor I wanted. I have been hoping another comes up. I want a Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke. Seems a good site. They have an evinrude 15 which is still like 9lbs lighter than a new 9.9 2 stroke.

The other place does not seem to sell small 2 strokes. I have never seen any website that advertises small 2 stroke outboards. (only expensive DI larger outboards)

14. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Have you actually checked them into luggage?

15. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

anything smelling of oil will be rejected ..I sent them by courier...but they X ray everything so you must WRITE your description well REBUILT BUT UN RUN OUTBOARD NO FLAMABLE LIQUIDS.

OR STEAMCLEANED ENGINE PARTS .NO FLAMABLE LIQUIDS.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.