1st steel boat, and some designs close to what I think I could live with...

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by parkland, Apr 1, 2013.

1. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Don't worry buds, I'm reading lots! it's only a matter of time before I get smarter on the subject! lol.

A problem is I keep thinking theres "an answer", but in fact, it's never that simple haha.

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Good luck with the journey - tugboat went through this on this forum as well. It took a while but eventually reality sank in. Or you could head off on the origami boat road, but not here - please...

'Steel Away' is worth having. Gil Klingel's book is good. Tom Colvin's 2 volume set is probably the definitive work on building a steel boat, little cover on electrics, plumbing etc. That can be remedied by Dave Gerr's book on boat mechanical systems and another whose author I forget on boat mechanical & electrical systems - Nigel Calder maybe?

Once you've digested those you'll be in a lot better position to ask questions.

PDW

3. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I have a problem reading and "digesting" as you said, because my brain seems to work in a method that when I read conflicting information, I kind of downgrade the qualit of that information.

It's hard reading boat information, because there is a ton of different opinions. At the end of the day, I feel like all I can do is read as much as I can, try a few little experiments, and jam everything I learn to form my own opinion and knowledge.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Fortunately, most boat design info isn't gospel. You aren't going to Hell based on which version of the truth you accept or reject.....

Use a little judgment. Does what you're reading make sense, in the context of what you already know or what info is readily available elsewhere?

1 person likes this.
  5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

The context of information is the biggest hurdle. For EG, talking about the "strength" of a fiberglass hull, one person insists it is stronger to have two 1/4 layers with foam inside, because it is more rigid. 1/2" inch of solid fiberglass would be stronger in it's ability to resist a rock puncture, but it all depends on what you are trying to do. A lot of the time, in boat building stories, or literature, the story of the boat is slowly spilled out in the entire content, so you might read for an hour or two, before you figure out that you're following someone else's design or thought process that is not as relevant to you're personal goal as you thought.

Another issue, is that procedures are often not explained enough to dissect a piece of information enough, for EG, someone might say "Using this joint technique, strength is greatly improved", but usually there is no technical information to back it up or explain why.

6. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Yeah, but if you go directly against the recognised authors, you'd better have done more than 'I don't understand what I'm reading (being told) and I don't like it for <insert reason here> therefore it's wrong, therefore I'll do things my way'. I've seen that attitude a lot - tugboat and blasting steel comes to mind. It nearly always ends in tears when dealing with basic construction techniques with well known materials.

Like all the designers say, first step is to define your statement of requirements. That may or may not define the hull material. If it does, have it thought through. "I want to use steel because I have the equipment, I'm familiar with working it and I like its toughness/strength. I'm prepared to deal with issues like blasting, priming and ongoing rust prevention". Something similar for f/g, ply/epoxy, carvel planked hull. It's all good provided you know why you're doing what you're doing.

Ultimately unless you're building a special vessel (racing yacht at one end, say an ice breaker at the other) obsessing over the hull material is a bit pointless. Pick what works for you and do it. The engines, interior fitout, sailing rig if any etc are going to cost you something between 2X (being very optimistic) and 5X the hull cost anyway.

As for conflicting information, that's a function of almost everything. Thesis, antithesis, synthesis. Some people have opinions firmly held but have no math to back them up, others can explain the logic that got them to their opinions. I go with the latter group if there's a conflict, then if necessary subset those to the people who've actually gone and gotten their hands dirty building or personally overseeing the build of their designs. They know what works because they've had to fix their bright ideas.

PDW

1 person likes this.

7. parkland

parkland Senior Member

This is probably the hardest thing to do, I know personally, it has been the largest struggle.
    The 1st step, IMHO, has to be a decision and seperation from "is this a commercial project, or a personal project?"
    The difference between the 2 options is probably the biggest factor out of anything. A commercial boat will be what is necessary to get a job done, while a personal boat will be what someone WANTS. What someone WANTS, and what someone NEEDS, are usually two vastly different things.

For example, I NEED a truck. and I have a 1 ton diesel, crew cab, 4x4. But a f150 half ton v6 2 wheel drive with roll up windows and a cassette deck would work for 99% of anything I do. So, IMHO, one first has to decide if they are going to build what they WANT, vs what they NEED.

What I NEED, for what I want to do, well, a 24 ft trailerable houseboat with a 15 hp outboard would work. However, what I plan on making I'm sure will not even vaguely resemble one of those units.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.