strip planked decks

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by tangent40, Apr 26, 2010.

1. tangent40

tangent40 tangent40

I am currently installing kaya planking on the decks of a 38' connie. The existing ply decks are coated with a heavy mill "rubberized" coating that is near inpossable to remove. My plan was to bed the new planking in a polyurathene addhesive/sealant and fasten from the underside as to create a good bond/flex barier from the existing decks. Is this a bad idea as it will be my first planking job?

thanks,
    TANGENT40

2. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

I'd say do a test, glue a piece of strip on the deck (somewhere less visible) and when the glue is dry, remove the strip. You'll see how it sticks. How thick the strips?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How thick are you planking with that you can screw from the underside? Usually, layed over decks are 3/8" or so.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If the original decks are sound, any screw fasteners from above are an invitation to water getting into what is now a perfectly good core.
    Screwing from underneath is chancy--- either too little bury or a chance of going through (now or later as the deck is refinished).
    Going with adhesive alone may be the answer (thickened epoxy). The problem then becomes holding the boards in place until the epoxy sets.
    Setting up a system to hold down the planks isn't too difficult, though it might have to be done over a longer period of time, in stages.
    I'd not send screws through a core unjacketed if I could help it, and yet all it takes is a single leak to cause a lot of misery.
    Think about no fasteners.