Hyd steering ????

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by ted655, Dec 14, 2007.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:confused: While not electrical, perhaps this is still the place to post.
    Amazing how something that sits goes to hell isn't it?
    Got the generator going, now my hyd. steering is "free wheeling", the wheel spins like a roulette wheel. System must be void of all oil.
    There is a little bolt on the housing (pump?), just behind the wheel. I assume this is a fill fitting as there is no tank anywhere.
    Here is what I'm thinking; Pour 20# non detergent into the fitting while turning the wheel 1 direction. With the fittings loosened at the cylinder on the transom. When all air is pushed out & oil starts to ooze out, then tighten that fitting & repeat, turning wheel in opposite direction while adding oil to fill that line, same as the first one.
    OK procedure? Thanks, Ted:)

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Dead on right. On mine I dont have to loosen the fitting at the rudder so you might just try filling turning full right then left and then fill some more.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you have a short pipe run then you may not need to bleed as you can get the bubbles to reach the reservoir.

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:mad: No, it's a houseboat. Probably 35' from helm to transom, 90% under side deck.:)

5. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Ted he means a small hose that you stick in the hole on the helm. That will allow the bubbles to come out without the mess

6. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:eek: Sure, I knew that, (NOT!).
    Thanks, no telling how I would have attempted it on my own.:)

7. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

First time I tried it. I tried to direct pour the oil in. Wasnt one of my better days ;)

8. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:confused: So, how about the second time you tried it? give you a nickel if you tell me your secret....

9. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I have a 5/8 hose about 9-12" long. I shove that in the hole on the helm. Then I take a small funnel and put that in the hose. Then I pour my oil in untill the funnel is about 1/2 full and wont go anymore. You might have to have someone hold the funnel for you. Then I slowly turn the wheel full left then right back and forth, you will notice the hyd fluid going down the hose. I keep doing this untill it will just take no more fluid. I pull the hose ( makeing a small mess) recap the helm hole and I turn the wheel quickly full left and the right several times. If it feels right and the rudder turns well then I leave it, if I not I repeat the process untill it dose. I hope this helps.

K9

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.