Bow design

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by pdw, Jul 14, 2008.

1. pdw

pdw Junior Member

Dear all,
    I would like to have the opinion of the Catamaran designer guru about 3 diferent type of bow. As you can see on the attached photos, I found 3 type of bow on cats, and would like to know the purpose, advantage and disavantages of each one. (as I don't know the technical word of each one, I send the corresponding photos) :eek:
    Thanks very much in advance for any technical comment.

Patrick

Attached Files:

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Personally I like the left bottom picture... a bit longer water line length.
    The one on the right saves the rig when you run into an object by going over it...

3. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Top left is a wave piercer on an A Class cat. It maximises waterline length whilst minimising weight and the idea is that the bows pierce through the waves with minimal resistance rather than going over them. They are perhaps the most 'hi-tech' of the hulls, but you need long bows (mast well aft). The other two are not really all that different to each other, but the left hand one keeps a longer waterline length whilst the right hand one is perhaps easier to build (and takes collisions better). Incidentally, the one on the right does not have centre boards either, but uses asymmetrically shaped hulls to counter leeway. At least, that's the idea - it doesn't work well in practise.
    So, ranking in terms of performance: top, left, right.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.