1998 115 mercury cooling question

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rdhdfmn, May 2, 2007.

1. rdhdfmn

rdhdfmn New Member

I was looking for an outboard motor forum on the internet and I came across this website and thought I would give it a try. I have a 1998 115 FLPTO mercury and recently had some work done to it. I have a pressure gauge as well as a temp. I have been told just to chunk the gauge and use the pressure gauge. Well after lots of different opinions(lots) as far as operating temp and water pressure. Well I finally called mercury and got the information from them. My questions are

1.Is it important where you hook up the pressure gauge to the motor? If yes where do you hook it up?

2. The temp gauge. It has now become a challenge to find out exactly how this stuff was designed to work. I was told the temperature gauge was an internal one that has an alarm when it gets too hot. Is the wire for the temp gauge built in the harness that came from the factory? When I bought the boat it didnt have a pressure or temp gauge. I was sjust wondering if it came wired from the factory to hook up a temp gauge.
    Thanks again for your help Brent

2. Tom stone

Tom stone New Member

temp gauge wire is definately in the engines harness to the control box, then links from there to the gauge(should have a mercury instruction leaflet with the gauges on how to connect this, normally on the same harness as the tacho). normally fit a tacho, speedo n trim with this engine so the temp links to the warning buzzer, believe it sounds a constant pulse.

not sure on the pressure gauge but believe you would need to add a sensor on the block and route a cable to the gauge, don't believe they are normally fitted.

try boatmad.com forum as more engineers regularly post there

hope this has been of some help

Tom Stone

3. rdhdfmn

rdhdfmn New Member

thanks for taking the time to reply Brent

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.