Mariner 60 4-stroke burn mark below powerhead

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by oivindu, Sep 26, 2007.

1. oivindu

oivindu Oivind

Greetings group members!
    My first post to this great place. As English is my second language I hope you will ignore any strange language.
    I was out today for the first time in two weeks and noticed a strange mark below the powerhead on my 60 hp Mariner (4-stroke, year 2001).

The paint was peeling and I thought that another boat has hit the engine some time during the last two weeks.

I started out slowly and was trolling for about 30 minutes. I then checked the area where the paint was peeling off and was shocked to see that a burn mark was showing (had not been brown burn mark when I sat out). I touched the spot and it was unbelievable hot. I shut off my outboard and splashed water on the area to cool it down.
    Stopped my trolling and headed home without any problems. But, dear forum experts: What can cause this heat in this area of the outboard?

I will try to insert an image that I took with my mobile. If it doesnt work here is a link to a image of the burn mark: http://www.flickr.com/photos/oivindu/1443703764

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Regards from Norway

Oivind

[​IMG]

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I'd guess a bad head gasket or exhaust manifold gasket is blowing out super-heated air. Do a compression check on all cylinders.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.