1959 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by fastracing96, Feb 23, 2009.

1. fastracing96

fastracing96 New Member

What is it worth. I picked it up on a trade deal. Plan on replacing water pump since it has not been in the water in a couple of years and selling it. What fuel mixture do I run in it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kenny

2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Junior Member

originally it was probably 25:1. You could probably go to 40;1 with modern 2 stroke oils.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I have been using 50-1 in my Johnson 25 but have been told that it can go even higher with the new outboard oil. I will not risk it though until there is more evidence. Back in the day, we used regular 30 wt at the heavier mixtures. All current oil is way better than the old stuff these motors were originally rated with.

4. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

I run my 1960 Evinrude 10 hp Sport Twin on Pennzoil at a 50:1 ratio and she goes like a ***** orangatan.

5. RockLaker

RockLaker Previous Member

Around here motors like that in average 50 year-old shape and running condition seem to be priced at around $300-$400. I have no idea if people are buying them for those prices though.

A year or two ago I sold a running '63 Evinrude 28 Speeditwin for $200 with controls, line and tank. Also traded my mint-running '68 Evinrude 55 Triumph with a cracked foot for a case of beer.

There's a niche market for antique motors (or any antiques for that matter) so it's really difficult to determine what they're worth. Essentially, anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Regarding the mixture, I used to run 40:1 in my '59 Evinrude 5.5. I can't remember whether it was listed on it or if I just did it, but it did the trick for the couple of years I ran it.

RL.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A few years ago I restored a 20' hardtop cruisers, which was equipped with twin 1962, sequentially numbered Evinrude Larks 40's and matching mechanical, push button controls.

They were all original, but in need of some repair. They never could be adjusted to run with similar power output, I thought they should be completely rebuilt and modernized (electronic ignition, modern carbs, etc.), but he insisted they stay original.

He eventually got tired of constantly screwing with them and both were pulled, "pickled" and "bagged". The powerhead covers where kept aside and fitted to new Mercury 30's. An adaptor plate was made and some minor alterations to the way things were "hung" on the Mercury's. The Mercury's were painted to match the '62 Evinrude's and the average person wouldn't recognize that they weren't 1962 technology. The boat performs much better then it ever did, starts and runs reliably and you don't need a machine shop to fab up parts when they break.

He's been looking for a buyer for the two Evinrudes since with no luck. There is a market for these engines, but it a really small one.

7. aesciarrino1

aesciarrino1 '57 Century Palomino

The factory recommended mix is 24:1. In my opinion you should stay with the original mix. A synthetic oil, such as Amisol, is good. If you want to sell the motor check the out "AMOCI" site. They specialize in antique and vintage outboards.

8. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Years ago I had a boat with a Johnson 35. Then I bought three of them off the beach in AK. Amongst Horse power enines, the 35 had a high ratio of weight to HP.
    Those engines dont idle real well. They pull good, but for fishing a guy needs a trolling motor.

If you intend to sell it, you put 30 Wt Non-detergent motor oil and mix it at 25:1. You let the new owner change mix if he wants to.

It originally had two hoses and a pressure tank for fuel.
    There are some places on the net to tell you how to change it to the newer safer single hose arrangment.

http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/johnson/Pressureized Fuel Tanks.htm

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.