1993 starcraft 171 3.0L Speeds

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by -=GSR=-, Jan 5, 2007.

1. -=GSR=-

-=GSR=- Junior Member

I own a 1993 Starcraft Elite 171 with a 3.0L inline 4cyl. (Mercruiser)To me it seems slow.
    I cannot get the boat any faster then 31-32mph.
    It runs excellent, I was told by several mechanics that I should be in the
    40mph range at high RPM.

Any suggestions?

If you own a 3.0L, what are your speeds?

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

What is your peak rpm at 32 mph?

3. -=GSR=-

-=GSR=- Junior Member

hmmm, got me there.
    3800-4100'ish RPM

4. stonebreaker

OK, if your engine is running fine, as you said, maybe you're over propped. How well does it launch out of the hole? How hard is it to pull up a heavy skier?

5. -=GSR=-

-=GSR=- Junior Member

it seems sluggish to get someone going on a wakeboard or tube for that matter.
    From nothing to full throttle, its a slug! skiier or not

6. stonebreaker

Well, it sure sounds like the prop may be the problem. Has it always behaved the same? If so, I'd suggest talking to a local dealer and finding one that will let you try out a few props.

7. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

I had a 17' Wellcraft w. a 3.0 that ran 37 -38 mph @ 4300 - 4400 rpm. If your boat is running smooth with little vibration, it may well be the Engine.

Stonebreaker is right though, it doesn't take much to effect speed.I would first inspect the prop blades for damage etc and than the obvious - is the boat carring extra weight? A few hundred lbs could do it.

good luck, jango

8. Tail_Gunner

Tail_Gunner New Member

I have a 93 euroliner 3.0l with a gen 11 leg 1.98 gears, The boat was made for a 4.3, anyway's i run a 21 pitch 3 blade with one person no weight @ 40,for water toys id suspect a 16-18 picth 4 blade would work. They are a heavy little boat, i could not even get it to plane with 6 people in running the 21, you might want to try a 16p for toy's and people on board.

May i ask is your boat hard to turn under power? This boat is a bear to, but then again iv'e never had a boat without power steering.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007

9. workdog

workdog New Member

I have a 92 18' open bow bayliner with the 3.0 my boat normally wont go much over 30 but I am also at a high altitude.

In reply to the question about turning my boat doesnt have power steering and it turns great I think that different props can make a big difference on that also I borrowed a prop from my uncle once and my boat didnt handle nowhere near as good as it does with my prop but his did give me a better holeshot

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.