Can anyone tell me what boat this is?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jungle3024, May 19, 2023.

1. jungle3024

jungle3024 New Member

Says American Marine INC model 2520, I was told its a 1974 model.

Attached Files:

2. jungle3024

jungle3024 New Member

Cant find this boat online anywhere, the closest boat I have found is a Bell Boy but its not exactly the same boat.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Looks nice, but be careful of all balsa core. Some of the 1970s boats experimented with all balsa and are junk, with a rotted core at this point.

If you are not sure, open the engine doghouse or access the bilge and tap on it. If the 'inside skin' is loose; the boat is probably done..

I had a 1974 Starfire with that flaw.

4. Robb0

Robb0 New Member

For some reason it reminds me of 70's Sabre Crafts, but thats not it... I feel like I've seen one just like this somewhere, but can't remember...

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

6. jungle3024

jungle3024 New Member

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I live in Washington, the industry was so incestuous that even rival brands had identical aspects stolen from each other. There were also models that were never really documented.

I understand the interest in finding out what someone may own, but the info is somewhat useless. They were all made from the same materials by the same untrained workers using marginal techniques. Even an exact model rarely followed the build schedule for more than a month. So you would have 6 years of production with 10 different build methods with specs that were never documented. And much of the build was random depending on the crew that day, so knowing the specs of the advertised publication was of little value.

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Take a look at the Label. That's the old BIA label which was used before 1972 when the Coast Guard required a new capacity label. So I doubt it's a 74. But the BIA didn't go away until 1979 when they merged with the Natl Assoc of Engine & Boat Mfgs to become the Natl Marine Manufacturers Assoc. So it could be a 74. There were some manufacturers who didn't comply right away. I did a search of the USCG database. No American Marine Inc. Not in Fiberglassics list of manufacturers either.

I think ondavr's comment is right on the money. Boat companies are bought and sold like people change their socks. And they go out of business daily (about 400 boat companies die every year. That's a USCG Statistic) If the issue is registration, just use the brand and the model number, and 1974. Take a photo of the label and show it to the registration people.

PS: my 1972 Sea Ray has a BIA label. so it could happen.

9. jungle3024

jungle3024 New Member

American Marine was around at some point but ya, hard telling as far as how long and to whom owned them at the time the boat was built. My question is more for curiosity and understanding of the boat more than anything else. Everything seems to be pretty solid structurally at this point and not rotted all out so should be able to do a good refurb on the boat, baby coming in August so I need to get on it before my world changes.