1997 seadoo challenger 800 twin

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Shawnharris24, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Shawnharris24

Shawnharris24 Junior Member

Im having a problem with the performance of my 800 twin, I just recently put new pistons , rings and a upper gasket kit in and had the jet pump rebuilt dy seadoo,we were out with it and it got real hot because to my suprise the cylinders were full of sand,,, I had a end gap of 11 thous on the rings,,cylinders were bored by previous owner at .50mm(.020) i just freshened it up!! ive got good water circulation, only thing was the riser gasket i couldnt change the bolts they were frozen solid! It runs ok but at idle it acts like it seizes up, but when you let it sit for a little while it starts back up and runs for a while and then keeps doing this, it runs fine at wide open throttle, i however have never done anything with the carbs or oil injection pump,im just looking for some possibilities, the plugs look a little lean, not real dark and tan in the middle, they arent silver or anything like that!!Could a in line oil filter change and a turn up on the oiler help?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I ran this boat for about 18hrs before i did the rebuild, this is a onset that has been gradually starting,,,Thanks Shawn

2. Shawnharris24

I Checked oil filter,that is not clogged

3. Shawnharris24

I changed the oil, put seadoo synthetic oil in, bled the system, put a new manifold on, rebuilt the carbs, 150lbs in each cylinder, no abnormal sounds, it starts and runs fine, im crossing my fingers

4. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

See if you can find an oil block off for both engines and start doing premix like all the performance 2 stroke skis do. The ratio for your engines might be 60 to 1. But what ever the manufacture recommends run a heavier mix. I hav a high performance Kawasaki that says to use 60 to 1 and I never go above 40 to 1.
    Use the best synthetic oil you can get your hands on. The Sea Doo oil is considered a good one. If you really want to learn how to get your rig flying over the water talk with the folks who build racing skis. There are lots of them out there and most are 2 stroke guys because these simple little engines are a breeze to work on and can pump out some 'Big HP"!!!!! Good luck

5. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Sorry I thought you had a twin engine setup but realize you have a twin cylinder
    engine. Same advice as above but cheaper. :D

6. Shawnharris24

I found the problem,,my fault,,and my advice to any seadoo owner, run seadoo spf or amsoil intercepter oil, Oil is full every time i go out now!!!
    Cheap oil doent work plain and simple!! I realized all this stuff started after i added 1 gallon of mobil 2 stroke oil, it was like my engine was flipping me off,lol, thanks for all the advice