1990 Proline Skiff

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Rescue516, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Rescue516

Rescue516 New Member

Hello,

I just purchased a 1990 Pro-Skiff 16 center console. The boat is in real nice shape however the fuel tank was abandoned some years ago and the boat has been run on 6 gal. portable tanks since. This is fine for now but i am a bit of a perfectionist and want it fixed. Aperently a leak or some corrosion problem was the reason to abandon the factory tank. Regardless i want it replaced with a poly tank.

The tank is located under the deck. There are no access holes to get it out so in order to replace it I will have to cut a hole at least as big as the tank. I am not afraid of the job i just am not sure how to repair the floor after. it has a rough finish from the factory so its not like it needs to be perfect and have shinny gel coat after. My concerns are whwere to cut and how to reassemble so i dont get stress crack in the glass when done and what the procedure needs to be.

Also does any one know much about Pro line construction from the 1990's. I have read alot on here about rotted wood but i dont see any accessable wood other than the ply wood deck underside which is not rotted at all.... its very solid.

Thanks for any help!
    Eric

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Frankly I would cut a nice hole big enough to get the tank out, and then instead of covering it up again, make it a hatch so you can inspect the tank. You'll need to gasket it so it doesn't leak.

3. Rescue516

Rescue516 New Member

The floor has 2 inspection hatches one forward at the sending unit and one aft at the motor draw tube. I spoke with a guy at proline and i asked why they dont make a drop in section for access like other manufactures. He told me that a one piece design is stronger and gives the boat a more rigid design.

Thanks For your Reply! I really appriciate it !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.