Wooden Blocks

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by AuxiliaryComms, Jun 28, 2008.

1. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

Hello all, my obsession with older wooden boats and old craftsmanship is growing. I've been trying to find some sort of resources to help me build wooden block.

I know it has to be able to be done with simple tools which appeals to me. I'm tired of having to pay an arm and a leg to by a label with 'marine' printed on it or 'needing' high tech tools.

I appreciate any help.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Blocks are quite simple to make. If you email mail me (click on my name) I send you some plans.

It's one thing to make simple axle and bushing blocks, but another all together to make low friction, wobble free, high load blocks, that happen to weigh a fraction of what wooden ones do.

Some types of yacht truly require wooden blocks or the just don't look right. Others can have wooden cheeks placed on modern blocks and get away with it.

What type of blocks are you intrested in?

3. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

I'm actually only building a flag-pole for my first attempt but I want to stick with the traitional techniques so I'm looking at making everything including the blocks. So the first block I'd want to make is really just a simple, single-sheave block.

Eventually I hope to be able to do more boat-building and to learn and apply as many older techniques as possible.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pick up a copy of Chapelle's book "A Complete Handbook of Wooden Boat Construction", Gardner's book "Building Classic Small Craft", Steward's book "Boatbuilding Manual" and McIntosh's book "How to Build a Wooden Boat". This will get you started on the traditional ways.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Last set of blocks I made were for a visiting US yacht, it was British made in 1929. I bought some 1929 pennies, had them gold plated and used them for end caps over the pins. Looked very nice. Today you could just use a coin to do the same. if you like the idea.