aux 9.9 outboard kicker bracket or notch in transom on inboard Double Eagle

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Northeaster, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Hi Folks,

Our 25ft aluminum Double Eagle is inboard/ shaft drive, powered by a 150 hp Cummins 4bt.
    Boat is still not finished but we used last summer, and had a 2hp Honda on a small kicker bracket for emergency use and trolling, as we already had the outboard.
    We now have a 2007 Mercury 9.9hp 4 stroke long shaft to use as our (permanent) kicker. The current bracket is not strong enough and ones rated for 4 strokes are a bit pricey.
    I think the 2hp was a long shaft but measures about 20 inches from top of where it mounts over transom or bracket to the middle of prop hub.
    The new long shaft engine measures about 27 inches.

I am wondering about just notching out the transom enough to allow it to be in enough water.
    below is a pic of transom. the top of where the motor would hang would be about 2 inches higher than the top holes seen (from old bracket), which would put that point at 20 inches above the water line.

Is this desirable/ feasible.

think pros would be:
    - no need for bracket
    - it would be easier to reach/ tilt engine than if on a bracket
    - not having to buy a new bracket
    - more sturdy mount and ability to lock better against theft
    ??

cons would be engine closer to waterline/ waves/ following seas both when in use and when tilted up
    ??

Thoughts??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The measurement is taken from the top of the transom bracket to the AV plate.

The waterline is not what you use as a reference point, it's the bottom of the transom below the motor.

You'd be better off with an XL (25") shaft motor.

I might cut the transom down for a 25" shaft, but not a 20" like you have now.

3. Northeaster

thanks for the reply. I only provided reference measurement to the waterline, so folks would know how close the engine would be to the water level, in following seas, etc.

I don't have the new 9.9 engine here with me, but it measures 27" from the top of where it hooks over the transom, to the about the middle of prop hub, whereas the old 2hp only measure 20" - so, would the new 9.9 model not be a 25" model as you suggest getting?

Attached Files:

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It would be a 20"

the 2 HP was a short shaft 15"

you would like to have a 25"

5. Northeaster

ok- thanks for clarifying!

well, this engine was a decent deal, and is ours now.. so it looks like i need to find a new heavy duty bracket that suits a 4 stroke???

I see some listed on ebay, for 2 stroke engines from 7hp - to 20hp and max weight of say 115 lbs. But, it says not recommended for 4 strokes - although my engine weighs less that that... do the 4 strokes put put higher torque. I would have though a 20hp 2 stroke would put out more than a 9.9 4 stroke...

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The brackets are rated for weight, the early 4 strokes were heavier, they become lighter over time.

You can make a solid mount for it, although being able to raise the mount is nice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.