89 Johnson 90 Hp starting issues

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by da56vid, Aug 11, 2022.

1. da56vid

da56vid New Member

I have a pontoon that we primarily fish out of. We drag a worm off the bottom for mainly catfish. we are often stopping and starting the motor. It has been often hard to start over the years there does not seem to be any routine that will start it consistently. Sometimes it will start in neutral idle and do well, but at other times we need to give it a little gas in neutral. The primer seems to work fine at a cold start, and it will almost always start cold. The issue is we start and stop frequently while fishing sometimes it just won't start it won't even hit it is like it is not getting fuel. We usually can let it sit for about 15 minutes and get it started and it may not do it again for the rest of the day. Any ideas?

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hows the primer bulb when you let it sit, primes like from first startup or its full of fuel?
    Where is the tank in the boat height wise compared with the engine?
    Does it still have the VRO pumping fuel?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  3. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I have a 90 Johnson. Acting up. Would run well, but super hard to start. Intake manifold was very slightly loose.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Hard starting after being warm is somewhat common on these motors, and the exact restart method can vary.

Sometimes it's because the fuel has evaporated out of the float bowl, so pumping the bulb and priming is required.

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

My old Johnson is acting up again. Won't start vranking for minutes, gas coming up from the prop and making a slick after a minute or two. So obviously getting fuel. Reolaced the plugs. Going to do the troubleshooter's fandango tomorrow.
    Fuel, Air, Spark. That's the triangle. Maybe no spark to the plugs.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That could be the power pack. Get a manual to troubleshoot it.

DogCavalry likes this.
  7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Yeah, I think you're right. I've been thinking electrical system. Alternator can't keep the battery charged either. Been getting progressively more difficult to start. Frequently stalls after starting, for the first couple minutes. But it's a '94 with high hours. Not a big surprise that it's fading. I've got a hairline like that.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That sounds like it could be the magnets in the flywheel de-magnetizing too. If the coils are OK with an ohm meter, then the voltage output will let you know if the magnets are good or not.

DogCavalry likes this.

9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I'm starting to thing 29 years of use is too much for an outboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.