1985 Mercury 7.5 full speed problems

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by kenrahe, Jul 23, 2011.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

I checked and they are there on those links hope to here from you soon maybe you can tell the year from these and you'll see no thermostat the picture of the hose is the water outlet from the head

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

how do i attach a photo not using photobucket and do i have to make a new post with that title or can i change the were talking now

3. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

just found it DSC00412.JPG

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

re

According to http://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/category_s/2687.htm

The only Lightning outboard was a 10 hp made in '47-49. So the next step is to ID what you really have. They have had serial numbers on them since the 40's, need to find the SN. Looks like the motor has been repainted, might have to do some scraping. If you have a tag it could be located on either side of the pivot housing, see pic. Most engines were stamped on top of the block above the exhaust plates, it may look like a plug. (see pic)

Once you find it, look it up on the above site. They also have a forum, as does http://www.outboardrepairs.com/mercury/

Once you get an ID, might want to ask your questions at one of them to get specific info, rather than the general help we can give.

Your pictures came in while I was typing. Have you pulled the hose off to ensure there is not a thermostat hidden in there?

Attached Files:

5. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

The hose connects to a small outlet tube about a 1/2 long same size as hose directly off the head i looked into the older models an can find no image that looks like mine is it possible that it's a lighting powerhead on a newer body
    DSC00412.JPG see the little tube the hose connects in the picture

6. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00423.JPG

DSC00422.JPG

DSC00421.JPG

DSC00420.JPG

DSC00424.JPG here's more pictures does this look like a 47-49 motor and can you send a farther away pic off where i should look for the plug there is no tag anywhere

7. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

I think I would post picture 423 on one or both of the websites I listed earlier and ask for what year range for that style cover and where to look for the serial #. From the general look of it, I'm thinking 60 or 70's.

There are also several other websites...google old merc

8. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Slow day at work. According to the cowl and tiller handle design I think it is an early '70s model. I emailed Oldmerc.com this is their reply:

"The serial number should be located on the swivel bracket, either across the front just below the powerhead, or on a rearward face of this same suspension piece."

Start scraping paint until you find it. :)

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If this motor is like the newer ones it won't have a thermostat installed when new even though the parts diagram shows one.

A hot and spitting pee stream can mean a blown head gasket, this is the only way to get instant heat too. Even without a thermostat the water should be cool for a couple of minutes until the motor warms up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.