Outboard tilt up operation

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rasorinc, Apr 3, 2017.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Do the major outboard company's make their engines to allow tilt up operation for running in shallow water? Is it only small engines like 20 hp
    our less? Is it dead slow only?

2. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

All outboards have some way to "trim" as far as I know. Small motors are typically manual. with a pin to hold them trimmed up at the desired level. Medium to large motors are trimmed up with hydraulics. Typically there is a trim level designed to optimize the running attitude at planing speed. Also there is a "tilt" level which would be for slow speed in shallow water as well as then loading onto a trailer.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The short answer would be yes, but they wouldn't be marketed as shallow water settings like on some small motors.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It is not unusual to see people with sub 40 hp tiller control outboards lift and hold the motor manually to traverse shallows, always very slowly of course, if the motor was generating anything more than minimal thrust, it would be impossible to hold it in an up position.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

There are also things to consider, like the maximum tilt a carb can handle without leaking fuel. And the oil level in a 4 stroke engine that must stay clear of the crankshaft at the lowest point.

6. redtech

redtech Senior Member

rasorinc, I may be a little late on this but your Oregon location caught my eye
    When you say shallow water running how shallow, I use to be in the Redding CA and roseburg or area and did a lot of jets
    Everything from 40 hp to 200hp tillers running outboard jet pumps
    So just wondering how skinny are you trying to run and do you need a prop or a jet

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.